04| HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF

WHEN CHARIS AWOKE THE NEXT MORNING, she found herself having enjoyed a restful sleep. Despite the absence of a meal in her stomach, her dreams had been filled with idyllic meadows and her beloved horse, Malory.

It was a welcome change from the usual nightmares that haunted her nights. The refreshing change left her feeling content.

As she took a deep breath, she savored the smell of nature that invaded her room, courtesy of the open window. The slight chill in the air reminded her that it was time to rise, and with a newfound tranquility, she prepared to start the day. A sudden realization struck her – it was the day of the homecoming game.

Charis's expression shifted, her eyebrows furrowing. The memory of Cole brought a fleeting smile to her face, especially the gentle peck on her cheek. However, a shadow of concern crossed her features as she thought about his girlfriend and the unspoken issues surrounding his absence from the game, replaced by Dylan taking his place.

Aware that Cole might not be in a happy state, Charis contemplated how she could offer support. Recognizing the potential for self-destructive tendencies, she wondered the best way to reach out.

However, she hesitated, concerned about coming across as overbearing. Adding to the complexity, Cole's relationship with Erin made direct communication challenging without the risk of stirring up drama. Determined to steer clear of unnecessary conflicts and avoid the spotlight, Charis faced the challenge of striking the right balance in extending support while still respecting boundaries.

Charis finally rose from bed and glanced at the clock next to her—7 in the morning. A rare occurrence for her to sleep in this late. The thought of a horse ride crossed her mind, a cherished activity from the past.

She promptly made her way to the bathroom for her morning routine of brushing her teeth and freshening up. The next destination was the kitchen, where her sister, clad in Lilo & Stitch pajamas, was engrossed in a book while enjoying a croissant.

"Nice jammies," Charis teased, commenting on Marilyn's choice of sleepwear.

"You're just jealous," Marilyn retorted with a smile, turning a page in her book. Charis headed to the fridge for some milk, but Marilyn beat her to it, offering a freshly baked croissant.

"Did you eat dinner yesterday? I didn't want to bother you because you fell asleep when we came home," Marilyn inquired.

"Yeah, I ate at the Walters," Charis replied. Marilyn handed her a croissant from the oven.

"Here, I made them this morning," Marilyn said.

"Oh, thanks," Charis expressed her gratitude, taking a bite and leaning on the counter. "They're actually really good."

"What do you mean, actually ? What, you didn't think I could bake?" Marilyn mockingly teased with a laugh. Charis chuckled, playfully waving her hand in a gesture that conveyed a maybe.

"Your sister bakes them like your mother, I tell you. Haven't had a croissant like that in years," their father remarked, entering the kitchen through the back door. Marilyn beamed with satisfaction.

"What are you doing outside?" Charis inquired, nodding toward the door he had just walked in from.

"Trying to fix the fence of the garden; I think a fox might've crawled through," Austin explained, washing his hands.

"A fox?" Marilyn expressed surprise, setting her book down.

"Haven't seen a fox around here in years," Charis added, wiping her hands with a paper towel.

"Wanna help after school?" their father suggested, already anticipating the likely response.

"On second thought—" Marilyn swiftly picked up her book and began backing out of the kitchen.