Second choice - part 2

Sneaking out of Cole's room in the middle of the night wasn't something you thought you'd do. But when he called saying he missed you, the love in your heart swelled, causing you to go to him against your own better judgment. One thing led to another after he snuck you in, sex ensuing. You hadn't expected it, but you consented. Now, shamefully, you snuck out of his room. He was your ex-boyfriend now. It had only been a few weeks. You shouldn't have been there in the first place.

"Don't go" You heard before you opened his room door, the voice halting you in your tracks.

"I have to Cole- I shouldn't have come" You whispered. "You're with Jackie now..."  You whispered and he shook his head.

"No, I'm not with her"

"This is over, Cole, this was a one-time thing," You said, meaning sleeping with him while you were broken up. "I won't be a distraction again. If you like Jackie, just tell her." You said.

Your relationship with Cole had become so toxic and so complicated so suddenly. You couldn't understand what he wanted.

"I'm sure she feels the same way" You finished and he huffed, running a frustrated hand through his hair.

When he didn't speak, you moved to leave again.

"I love you" You heard,

a small gasp leaving your lips "She confessed to me before we broke up and I didn't know how to handle it," He admitted. "I didn't want you to feel insecure or be upset with me"He added and you were shocked.

"So instead, you just let me watch you silently love her?"

"No, I never loved her, I just, didn't know how to tell her I didn't feel the same" He said "I didn't want to hurt her feelings, especially after all that she has been through."

"You should have come to me Cole, not let me go like that." You said and he nodded his head in agreement.

"I'm not good with that stuff, Y/n." He whispered before taking a deep breath.

"I love you. And I'm so sorry I didn't tell you what was going on, I didn't want to be a burden to you, or hurt Jackie" He said sincerely, holding your hands in his.

"I'm sorry I made you feel like I didn't love you" He added and cupped your cheek in his hands.

"Do you still love me?" He asked, leaning down to ghost his lips over yours. He knew you loved that.

"Yes, Cole, of course I love you" You whispered before connecting your lips in a love filled kiss.

You could feel it, his love for you. All in the way he kissed you so carefully.

"I love you, Y/n" He whispered against your lips, allowing you to pull him closer.

Your lips molded together perfectly. You missed this, you had missed your Cole. He had always been so good to you.

"I'm sorry for letting you go so quickly" You apologized once you pulled away. He shook his head.

"Don't be, you have me right here, all to yourself" He whispered.

Telling Jackie he didn't feel the same way was something Cole was ready for. He just didn't want to hurt her feelings.

-

The next morning the two of you were perched on the couch, Cole's arm was around you as he stared off in his thoughts. You were about to ask him what he was thinking about before he decided to speak.

"I'm gonna tell her today" He said and you looked up at him "I know I might break her heart" He added.

"Listen, however Jackie takes it, she won't hate you" You explained "You can do this Cole, I know you can" You said and he sat up a bit.

"She's at the loft now, I'm gonna get it over with" He sighed and you nodded, pecking his lips before he went out the back door.

It had been 45 minutes...

You decided to check on them. They couldn't be far...right?

Upon stepping out the back door and traveling towards the loft, a pit in your stomach arose.

You trusted Cole. He loved you.

That's when you saw it.

Jackie, leaning in to kiss Cole. And he wasn't pulling away.

You watched in horror as Cole stepped away at the last minute, shaking his head and uttering something to the girl.

Jackie was now crying.

Relief shot over you, but you were certain that he was going to kiss her.

"Y/n?" You heard and turned, seeing Danny.

"Dan, hi" You said and he looked confused.

"Who are you...oh." He said as he saw what you were watching. "Cole told me what happened" He said and you nodded. Danny could tell something was bothering you.

"He almost let her kiss him You muttered and Danny's eyes flashed with anger.

"What?" He asked before pulling you into a hug. "I'm so sorry- I don't know what's gotten into him"

"He lied to me, Danny" You whispered sadly.

The next thing you saw, broke you to pieces. Cole and Jackie hugged before he leaned down and gave her a brief kiss.

Tears threatened to spill from your eyes, watching the boy you loved in disbelief. You had believed what he said, he lied to you. He LIED to you over and over again.

You pulled away from Danny and made a b-line towards Cole and Jackie.

"You liar!" You shouted and Cole jumped away from Jackie. "You said....you said...!" You started but you fell yo the ground, clutching your chest as panic took over.

Danny rushed up behind you, holding you close as Cole tried to rush over as well.

"Just back up Cole" Danny said.

"You fucked up big time."