Bound by Duty

ZACK THORNE🥂

Adeline Thorne. P. engaged with the business tycoon, Theodore Ferro, repeatedly played in my mind. Zack's warm hands rested on mine, bringing me back to the present. He had led me to the dining table earlier.

"First of all..." His eyes were deathly serious, "You look like hell."

"I do?" I gasped dramatically, touching my cheeks, "Oh, cut that crap."

"You know about the Ferro Family?"

"Who doesn't,"

"You know that with money comes..."

"Power, I know," I cut him short.

"Which they have over us... I'm not trying to force you into this marriage, but..."

His words slowly faded as various scenarios played in my head. They had power. Power to help my dad's company, all his hard work and time. To keep many employed, with the number of layoffs that happened over the last few months in my dad's company. And many more that could happen. And this is something that has funded my lifestyle and all the things I've enjoyed, I can't suffer now.

But why would they want to marry me into the family? We had nothing to offer. We were the ones who needed them, so they could just choose some other family and leave us alone. How hard could it be?

"Adeline?"

"I'm listening" I blinked, folding my arms,

"What's going on in your head?"

"Nothing."

"I was saying," he paused to make sure I was paying attention, "They agreed to every condition of ours as long as..." his face changed like he had taken poison.

"I get married to him," I nodded.

"Which you don't have to," Dad chimed in, speaking to me for the first time since I yelled at him. I now felt like shit for that; he didn't deserve it, "I'm not selling you,"

On the other hand, if I got... I didn't want to say it, but my dad's market would increase to an international scale with profits and benefits. And won't see his blood and sweat go down the drain... And as a bonus, I'd get a rich husband.

"Is there any other option, apart from marriage?" I asked, scratching the back of my ear.

"I'm afraid not," Dad said, "that's how they have always operated,"

"They become in-laws with every business partner?"

"Yes, but that's why they don't have many partners either. It's a strategic move to safeguard their company, profits, and assets," I huffed, disdain evident.

Perspiration formed on my forehead; it felt like a mere business transaction. My dad's happy. Zack is happy. The Ferros are happy. What's there to lose? Well, maybe my love life, but that's a minor concern. You've heard of affairs before. It's slightly immature thinking, but the pros outweigh the cons.

I mean, I could bring immense joy to my dad. And money to me.

"I'll do it," I said with so much confidence,

"No!" my father bellowed, his fist colliding with the counter. I winced; that must have hurt. "No way I'm gonna let that happen!!!"

They both erupted in protest; Zack, in frustration, stood from his seat and attempted to punch the wall. I took deep breaths, observing the drama unfold. A truly dramatic family.

"I will do it; it's the only way," I affirmed.

"A, we can always secure other contracts. You don't..."