Gift Exchange

The snow fell in swathes as I exited Madame DuPont's haberdashery. I pulled my cloak closer to me and set off for home. I could just make out Notre Dame's towers through the mist. My boots made a satisfying crunch as I trudged through the snow. Todays wage made a light clinking sound in my pocket. There was extra for working Christmas Eve.

After everything had settled with Ward I had grown bored of my housewife life in the belltower. Though my husband would be thrilled if I was just home all day everyday, I needed something to do. Fortunately Madame DuPont was hurting for help and I had a love for sewing. I mostly did grunt work like hemming or mending but Madame offered to let me help her design a dress after the holidays.

I beamed as I walked along. I couldn't wait to tell Quasi. Speaking of Quasi, I still needed to pick up his present. I turned down the next street and ducked into the tool shop.

A bell rang out as I heaved open the door.

"Evening!" I glanced over at the counter as I shoved the door back closed, locking out the cold wind.

"Evening!" I responded.

"Cold one." He commented.

"No kidding." I chuckled walking into the shop. I already knew what I wanted to grab. A set of new woodworking tools. I'd found them a few weeks ago and took extra shifts at the haberdashery to pay for them. I quickly found them and took a moment to admire them.

The handles were mahogany, a vein of gold ran through them. Not real gold of course but still, just as pretty. The metal of the chisels gleamed and shone. I pulled the top closed, the latch clicked into position and I lugged the case to the front.

"Ahh keen eye there miss." The shopkeeper complimented.

"Thanks, It's a Christmas present for my husband." I set it down on the counter.

"He a craftsman?"

"He is, best I know." I bragged.

"He'll love these then." He glanced into one of his books. "Should be about 15 Euro."

I fished my wage out of my pocket and set it on the counter. "That's half." I grabbed my money bag and tossed out the rest.

The man picked up a coin and gave it a glance. "Pleasure doing business ma'am."

"Thank you." I called as I left the cozy shop and entered the snow.

"Merry Christmas!" He called after me.

______________________

*SLAM*

The door to the belltower slammed behind me. The rest of my way home was cold and wet. Not my favorite but I'd grown to appreciate the winter. Just a bit. Quasi loved the snow.

"Ines?" I heard his voice call from somewhere high in the rafters.

"It's me!" I called back. I climbed into the loft quickly and barely managed to hide the toolset before I heard a familiar thump behind me.

"How was work?" I turned to find him, his arms out just a bit, a quiet request for an embrace.

"It was good." I answered, I enthusiastically answered his request, my hands slid up his chest resting on his collarbone. "Madame DuPont has asked for my assistance with her next dress."

"That's wonderful." His hands went to my waist and pulled me to him. "I knew it was only a matter of time before she realized what talent she had in front of her."

I chuckled. "Oh I'm not that good."

"Course you are." His blue eyes shone with pride as he gazed at me. I felt my cheeks flush as he did. Those blue eyes were my weakness, I melted beneath them.