chapter 3 - never trust a rebel

coriolanus is walking back to his work area, when a guard comes up to him. "private snow? come with us." coriolanus looks confused. they drag him to a room with their boss. coriolanus walks in and salutes to him.

"snow.. i received the results from your aptitude tests this morning. looked over your training records too. your performance is exemplary."
"well, half the other recruits can't read, sir." coriolanus says this with a smile, trying not to laugh.

"your general crassus snow's boy. what did you do to end up here?"
"i made an enemy, sir. in the capitol."
"i've made a career out of ruining my enemies' plans. i'm going to reassign you.. to officer training in district 2, you'll earn a real wage. maybe even have another shot at the capitol one day. train leaves in 10 days. keep a clean record, you'll never see anyone from district 12 again"

he hands coriolanus a paper to sign, giving permission to leave district 12, and go to district 2. coriolanus parts his lips, and hesitates to grab the paper.

"is there a problem? this is an honor, private. not an option."
"yes sir. thank you."

coriolanus goes over to the telephones, trying to reach his cousin tigris. he's switching the channels trying to find the right one.

"coryo?"
"tigris?"
"coryo!!"
"tigris!!" coriolanus chuckles.
"your curls!" she notices his buzz cut.
"yeah, i know" coriolanus grabs his head and chuckles at her comment. "where are you?"
"coryo, we're fine..."
"tigris, where are you?" coriolanus says firmly
"we had to move out.. we're renting this place just for right now."
"they evicted you??"
"listen, i'm fine. grandma'am is fine. i really don't want you to worry, okay?"
"i think i found a way out of here. i just have to make it through officer training in 2. and then i can make my way  back to the capitol. i will fix this."
"okay." tigris says eagerly
"i'm gonna be home soon. i promise."
tigris begins to cut out, "don't make me hope!"

coriolanus slams his hand into the wall.

coriolanus looks at the eviction paper sadly as he's walking out of the building. he notices sejanus talking to a woman in jail. he hides behind a truck to listen. sejanus looks around to see if anyone can see him. he is obviously doing something suspicious.

coriolanus, sejanus, and the crew are assigned to collect jabber jays and put them in their cages. coriolanus and sejanus are working together.

"whatever it is you're doing, you need to stop it."
"what are you..."
"don't." coriolanus snaps back at him firmly.
he then adds, "i saw you talking to that woman in the jail. if i don't report you now..."
"you don't know anything to report"
"they know we're friends, sejanus. you're gonna get us both killed."
"you told me i could do something. you told me i could make a difference... there's a group of locals that are getting out of district 12 for good."

coriolanus interrupts him, "don't. stop talking. I CAN'T HEAR THIS!"
"LISTEN TO ME!"
the two boys push each other, but someone walks by, so they keep calm.

...

sejanus says, "they're going up north.. to start a new life far away from Panem. they need money for supplies. they told me i could go if i got it for them. you could come with us."
coriolanus bats an eye at the recorder for the jabber jays.

"you're giving money to the locals. are you out of your mind?! they're all rebels"

he grabs the recorder and puts it on the side of the cage where sejanus can't see it.
sejanus says, "i can't stay here. i won't. they're not planning on doing anything dangerous, okay?"