Lost Sound

Midoriya and Bakugo have always had a weird relationship. They were friends but you couldn't tell. Yes Bakugo was short tempered and Midoriya always seemed to be on the receiving end of it, but that was because no matter how mad Bakugo got he could always hold back when it came to the nerd. Of course Midoriya preferred to be the punching bag if that meant someone else didn't get seriously hurt. The worst Midoriya got was a mild burn.

A lot of it was a show, as they spend every weekend together, Midoriya using his analysis to help Bakugo train his quirk and help him get into UA. They still planned on being a hero team, Midoriya using his analysis to help Bakugo get the upper hand on the villains he would be facing.

Of course when All Might gave Midoriya his quirk he told Bakugo, unable to keep this secret from his friend. So when Midoriya got into UA of course Bakugo still put up a front at school and was actually really proud of him.

It didn't take long for the title of rivals to be given to them and pairing them together became a common occurrence. Which leads us to today, they were doing another villain versus hero training. Bakugou and Todoroki were paired together as heroes and Midoriya and Tokoyami were the villains they were after.

Todoroki was pissing Bakugo off and he couldn't stand it anymore. Bakugo broke off from Todoroki and went on the hunt for Midoriya needing to let off his steam. Once he spotted the nerd and pounced at him, setting off an angry filled explosion right at the back of Midoriya's head.

The ear piercing scream Bakugo heard from his friend was one that would haunt him forever. Bakugo turned to see Midoriya on the ground, curled in a ball holding his head.

"Deku!" Bakugo ran towards his friend. Deku! Are you okay!" Bakugo grabbed his friend's shoulder, turning him to face him. "Deku answer me!"

Midoriya just stared at him with a shocked look on his face.  He could see Bakugo's mouth moving but the ringing in his eyes was so loud and the pain was getting too much to bear.

Bakugo started examining Midoriya looking for any injuries when he saw it, blood dripping from the side of Midoriya's head. Bakugo grabbed Midoriya's chin, turning his head to the side to see where the bleeding was coming from. His ear, the blood was coming from his ear! Bakugo turned his head to the side and saw the same. "Fuck!"

By this point the ringing in Midoriya's ears has stopped leaving him with complete silence. He thinks he sees Bakugo say fuck, but only his mouth moves no sound.

"Kacchan, I can't hear."

—-

"Sadly there isn't much I can do. Midoriya has lost 90% of his hearing." Recovery Girl informed Aizawa and Bakugo while Bakugo signed what was being said to Midoriya.

"What do we do from here?" Aizawa asked.

"Not much." Recovery Girl shook her head. "With this much hearing loss chances are hearing aids won't be any help, however I'm not a specialist, however I will be referring him to one. For now Midoriya is just going to have to adjust to his new way of life."

"Will I still be able to be a hero?" Midoriya asked his voice not to be able to keep a steady voice as some parts were very loud causing the occupants of the room to wince.

Bakugo looked at his teacher. "I can't be the reason he doesn't become a hero." This time he's not signing. He doesn't want his friend to know what he's saying. "I almost took that from him once. I couldn't live with myself if I did."

"Midoriya we are gonna do everything in our power to make sure you become the hero we all know you can be." Aizawa took hold of Midoriya's hand and made sure to keep eye contact to let him know he was being sincere. For the first time since the accident Midoriya started to cry.

—-

The road to recovery and becoming a hero was not easy. Midoriya's equilibrium was off due to the damage to his ears. He had to deal with constant dizziness and his balance was off, which made it more difficult in training and he felt like he was falling behind.

Eventually Midoriya did get hearing aids although they didn't help improve his hearing much but did help with his dizziness and the ringing on his ears.

Midoriya was also able to work with a support course to make some gear to help him in the field, like a mask that could transcribe what the people around him were saying.

Bakugo became his biggest supporter through all of this. He helped the class learn JSL and was also by Midoriya's side to be his interpreter when he needed it.

Bakugo ended up going to therapy to help him find better coping mechanisms to deal with his anger then taking it out on Midoriya and in turn help him become a better hero.