Christmas Magic: Sebastian Sallow

image created with Bing AI

Two days before Christmas. I was stuck at Hogwarts again this year. My father had work, again, which meant I was to stay at the castle. It wasn't so bad though. At least most of my friends were here as well. And there was always the party to look forward to.

Every year, the houses of Hogwarts took turns hosting a holiday party for the leftovers who were still at the castle during break. This year, it was Slytherin's turn. I was excited but also nervous.

Sebastian Sallow and I were decent friends. Ever since fifth year, we were friendly enough with one another. But recently, we have been bickering more than before. It was frustrating. I felt as if I couldn't say two words without an argument starting between us.

There was something off in our relationship. Maybe we were growing apart. Maybe our age was forcing differences between one another. Maybe, knowing it was our final year at Hogwarts, we were forcing a distance between us that would come eventually.

I made my way to the Slytherin common room. I had promised Ominis that I would help decorate for the party. He had a way of persuading me to do even the dullest of tasks. I wasn't sure what it was about Ominis Gaunt, but I was convinced that he could get me to do just about anything.

"Ominis, there you are," I said, walking towards him as he stood in front of the floor-to-ceiling windows. The blue water shimmered an icy feeling over the room through the stained-glass windows.

"Good. You're here. I need your help." Ominis barked in a rushed manner. He turned to face me; his brows furrowed together. I could practically see the worry he was wearing on his face.

"What's going on?" I asked as I held my breath a bit. I wasn't prepared for his answer, though I probably never would have been prepared. He let out a small sigh.

"We never got a tree." He said in a paced tone.

"What do you mean you never got a tree?" I asked as I crossed my arms over my chest. I could already see where this was going.

"For the common room. A Christmas tree is the essential item for Christmas magic. How can we have a Christmas party without a tree?" Ominis questioned with an annoyed tone. He took a step closer and his eyebrow went up a touch. It was the look he did when he was about to ask me something.

"Do you mind helping us? The snow is falling rather hard outside, or so I've been told, and I wouldn't want just one person going alone." He said in a soft tone.

"Of course, I don't mind," I replied after a moment of thought. I agreed to help before I realized what he even said. Then, it hit me. Us. Two people, at least, would be going.