...Thought I Was Getting Broken Up With

"Hi, handsome!" I greeted Ben with a joking wink during the time we always ran into each other at our lockers Monday afternoon. It was my favorite time of the day.
       "Hey, love! How was your weekend?" He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek.
       "It was great! I mainly hung out at home...started a new book...not much. How was your weekend?" I fidgeted with the bottoms of  my sleeves as we started walking down the hallway.
      "It was-"
      Ben was cut off by a loud shriek halfway down the hallway behind us. We both whipped around to see Devi standing frozen in the middle of the hall, staring at her phone with disbelief. "I'm in!!! Guys, they let me in!" Fabiola and Aneesa joined her to peer at the email displayed on the screen.
       "Oh my god!!! Congratulations!!!" Aneesa put an arm around Devi's shoulder and the two jumped up and down.
       "Congratulations, Devi!!! That's amazing!" I sped over to the trio and pulled her and Aneesa into a tight hug. "I'm so proud of you!! You did it!"
       Ben walked to us a bit slower, a bit hesitantly.  "Proud of you, David." He smiled. I gave him a big smile. I was so glad that we had both mended our fences with Devi (at least partially for the time being). I was genuinely so excited for her. She had worked so hard and had finally gotten in.
        "Maybe we can all celebrate sometime over the summer?" Devi looked up at us, brown eyes still sparkling with joy and maybe a few happy tears.
         "Oh..." Ben faltered for a moment and glanced quickly at me. I searched his expression, confused. "Uh...absolutely!" He finished speaking with a clearly forced smile.
          "That would be great, Devi!" I assured her and reiterated my excitement for her before glancing over at Ben to take our leave from the group. "What was that?" I asked him as soon as we were out of earshot.
        "What was what?" He frowned.
        "Ben you know exactly what I'm talking about. What's going on?"
         "Let's go for a walk later, we need to talk," Ben sighed. My heart crawled up into my throat- shit. What did we need to talk about?

                                         -

       "I- I'm going away for the summer," Ben started hesitantly as we walked hand-in-hand along the small path through his neighborhood.
        "What? The whole summer?" I looked over at him quickly.
        "Yeah...I'm leaving right after graduation to take an internship at a law firm in New York."
        "Wow...you're like- leaving leaving..." I was conflicted. On the one hand, I was glad that the conversation wasn't a breakup talk, but on the other, I was really sad that he wouldn't be around this summer.
        "Only for the summer...We'll be together at Colombia before you know it," Ben rubbed the top of my hand gently with his thumb.
        "Right," I exhaled a little harshly. I hadn't realized that I was holding my breath. "Ben- that's amazing. That- I'm so proud of you. You're going amazing things." I pulled him into a tight hug. "I'm gonna miss you like hell, but I cannot wait to see all the amazing things you do...and then proudly tell everyone I know: 'that's my boyfriend!'"
       Ben laughed. "Thank you."
       "For what?" I tilted my head.
       "For always supporting me."
       "Ben we were like strict classroom rivals for most of our lives," I laughed. "I was beating your scores and smack talking you— constantly."
        "Even then though, it just pushed me to be better. I think the whole 'rivalry' thing morphed into a 'me trying to impress you' thing after a while."
       "Oh my gosh- Ben Gross is obsessed with me!" I put my hand up to my mouth in feigned shock.
       "Yes, ma'am," Ben confirmed with a small smirk, kissing my temple. He had no right being that cute. That was completely uncalled for. I was rendered speechless.
        "You liked that one, huh?" Ben smiled smugly to himself.
          "What?" I tried to suppress the warmth in my cheeks. "No...that was cheesy."
          "Mhm. Okay. Whatever you say, sweetheart," Ben shrugged.
           "You're the one who's obsessed," I joked.
          "Are we sure I'm the only one?"