𝟎𝟕, 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆

QUIETLY, ADIN crept down the hallway, his bare feet silent across the wooden floor. He was heading toward his father's study, not in tears this time but proudly holding his latest project. As he held his invention in one hand, the other was folded behind his back with his index and middle fingers crossed as he silently hoped that his father was home—

But of course, like he always was recently, he was nowhere to be seen.

He took a step forward, almost losing his balance and tumbling off what seemed to be a gaping hole in the floor. Looking down, he stumbled back to safety and almost stepped on the sharp hinge of a wooden slab connected to the rest of the floor.

As always, Adin couldn't seem to fight his curiosity that urged him to explore what was past the trapdoor. He set his project onto his father's desk and slowly lowered himself through the door and onto the ladder.

Inside was like a different world, yet it felt more like home than anything ever did. The soft rattle of gears grew louder with each step he took to the basement. It gradually grew until it became a deafening roar in his ears. Thousands of gears filled the small room. When Adin stepped off the ladder and onto ground level, the clanking grew incredibly loud.

So loud that at first, it was impossible to hear the quiet, tremulous plea for help.

✧・☆: *✧・☆:*✧・☆: *✧・☆:*✧・☆: *✧・☆:*

ADIN WOKE up in his bed, unsure why he was there. Hadn't he been at the apothecary with Chris and Victoria and Maverick only a couple of hours ago? He pulled back the covers, felt it slip over his bare chest, then noticed his jeans. Why would he have worn those to sleep? His shoes were still on, too, and he made a mental note to throw his covers and sheets in the washer later.

He stood up, undressed, and practically dragged himself into the shower. The hot water soothed his skin, but brought upon a stinging sensation on his back. With a yelp, Adin clambered out, then ran to grab a towel. He wrapped the towel around his waist and peered at his back through the mirror.

It was then that he noticed the rows of tiny and even stitches, running along his lower back. Now he vaguely recalled his collapse in the apothecary. Thinking of him freezing up at Maverick opening the door was plenty to make himself shiver in embarrassment. The more he thought about it, the more tempted he was to hide somewhere forever. Adin went to his bedroom to look for something clean to wear, and he tossed aside his towel when he found a shirt and a pair of jeans. He pulled his clothes on and tucked himself under the covers again, choosing to ignore the fact that he was supposed to be doing his laundry at the moment.

The queasy feeling in his chest persisted, and Adin pulled the sheets to his chin. He wrapped his arms around himself and rolled on his side, facing the wall. His fingers were starting to feel numb, but there were far more important things to worry about than his arm falling asleep.

Had he fainted from his own delusional mind when he thought his father appeared in the entrance of the apothecary?

Then a sudden thought occurred to him, and Adin bolted upright.

Or was it from whatever was in that vial that Victoria had put on his forehead?

It's not for a fever, idiot, she had said.

Then, the question, what indeed was it for?

Was Chris walking to the sleep medicines to warn him about her?

Adin stumbled over to his desk in a mess of tangled sheets, but sat down in his chair. He tossed the covers back on the bed, thinking, and his eyebrows creased together especially when he noticed a leather-bound journal on the table. It was most definitely not his, but as he flipped through it, he found entries that included, alarmingly, recent things that had indeed happened to him.

At first, it was okay.

Someone was stalking him, but that was a problem that could be fixed easily.

But the last entry that he found—

I'm waiting . . .

I can take the throne . . .

Amethirus will be mine.

He felt his blood run cold, and he dropped the journal with a thwack.

Adin stood up to pick the notebook up, just as there was a familiar, impertinent knock on his door. A wave of nausea swept over him again.

There was no use trying to delay the inevitable. They had come to take him in for questioning the pig, but once that journal was found, there would be no hope.

He hurried back to hide the journal, but they would tear apart the whole place, so what if it was hidden? They'd still find it, and it'd be even more suspicious then. He walked to the door, and turned the doorknob. Adin inhaled sharply as he saw the man—streaks of gray had been combed into his hair, but that face he would've never forgotten. There was a hint of a small beard on his chin and a faint mustache now. His lips were tilted upwards in a mischievous leer, but in between his eyebrows was a crease, and his blue eyes glinted dangerously.

"Are you Adin Aulus?"

Adin recognized that voice.

Search the house. Leave nothing unchecked.

He nodded.

The man rolled his eyes, and Adin took a step back, turning his face away slightly to avoid eye contact. Out of the corner of his eyes, he spotted something flashing up to his shoulder. There was a muted blast, one he knew too well.

How could they use my own invention against me?

And then his own body betrayed him, too, and he fell to the floor for the second time in twenty four hours.

Two days later, the entirety of the third floor, which really was just two or three people, heard the tinkling of chains and knew that the newest prisoner – the infamous inventor now – had awoken.

Adin pushed himself to a sitting position, trying to ignore the freezing air conditioning that blasted in from the vents. In the biting temperature, the steel clamps around his wrists and ankles left red marks where the cold metal froze and damaged his skin.

He shivered, both from the cold and the pounding question that he had lost sleep over the night before—

Had his father sat in this same cell as he awaited his sentence?

And would they face the same fate?

1105 words<3

author speaking!

hehe everyone is suspicious in their own way :) and yes this chapter is called the something i lost inspiration okay??? LMAO— anyway, i hope you enjoy this chapter, if you did, make sure to vote and comment! love you ALL so much, so have a great rest of your day! <3000

— sophia xoxo