5

~*~

"From now henceforth, you shall never be called my daughter, I disown you, Melissa!" When these words left my father's mouth, I felt as though a knife had just pierced my heart. I know that since it wasn't my first time hearing those words, it shouldn't hurt this much, but sadly, it still did.

I bit back the heavy tears that forced its way to my eyes, not this time. I will not be made a mockery of by the man I call father, a second time. I balled my fists in a desperate attempt to push back my tears. I swallowed all the pain into the pit of my stomach, where they belong. I looked straight into his eyes without fear, I didn't care if he was judging me, I already judged myself and I have declared myself innocent.

"Philip!" I called him by his name.

His eyes widened when he heard his name from me. "What? How dare you—?"

I shrugged. "You made it clear that I am not your daughter anymore, it is only logical that I do not call you father any more. Do not worry about me, I will be just fine. I have survived without you for all my life, I will continue to survive without you!"

He grunted in anger.  "You wretch!" He raises his right hand in the air in rage and swung it in an attempt to hit me. I closed my eyes and flinched in instinctive response to the impending slap.

After what felt like forever, I opened my eyes and saw my father's hand still in the air. His wrist was held by someone else, someone stopped him from slapping me. I followed the direction of the person's arm, and my eyes met with King Sinclair's eyes. He was the one who grabbed my father's hand.

My father seemed just as surprised as I was. "M-My King?" He stuttered.

King Sinclair stood tall, he towered over my father and I. Seeing him up close made me notice how sharp and distinct his facial features were. I wonder why the moon goddess did not bless him with a mate, his mate would be just as perfect as he is.

He let go of my father's hand. "Enough of this nonsense, Philip, go home"

"But my King—"

"I said go home!" King Sinclair ordered. And just like an obedience, my father walked away with his shoulders dropped in defeat. My mother led Hugo by hand and went after him. I know she hates me, but that is something I'll deal with later.

I returned my attention to the handsome King standing in front of me. I caught him watching me, but as soon as he saw that I had caught his gaze, he looked away.

I cleared my throat: "Thank you, your majesty—". Before I could finish thanking him, he walked away.

"You all may leave." He declared before returning to his inner chambers.

I watched as everyone left one by one until it was remaining the servants and the soldiers. I began making my way outside as well, there is no point in tying to thank a man who doesn't care for my gratitude. I walked through the streets of my city as there was no carriage to take me home. Home, is there such a place for me? The only reason I'd go to that house would be because of my mother and Hugo, they matter more to me than that pompous man who calls himself my father.

I stopped in my tracks. Maybe it will not be wise to go there tonight. Will my mother let me sleep in the servants' quarters at least? Or will she stand by her husband as always, and turn her back on me?

There was only one person I could think of who could offer me a decent place to live, and so, I went in the direction of his house. He may be a good for nothing man, but he is my mate in the eyes of the world. That has to count for something, right?

***
I knocked on the door of Vincent's parents' mansion. My body shivered uncontrollably as the night cold swept across my skin, it reminded me of the night I was beaten and tortured to death in my past life. Before the horrendous memory could take form, the door was unlocked from the inside to reveal Vincent's mother.

She looked at me with shock in her eyes: "Oh dear! What happened?!" She pulled me inside and shut the door behind us. She led me to the sitting room and made me sit on the chair there. "Bring hot water!!" She yelled to the servants, then she sat down beside my shivering self. "What happened to you, child?" She asked with concern and worry laced in her voice.

I shrugged. "Just a little misunderstanding between my father and I, we shall work it out." I lied, or rather left out some information. Maybe because deep down, I was afraid that if I told her that I have no wolf, she might kick me out of her house. I do not care for Vincent, but his mother is such a nice and loving woman. In my past life, after my mother's death, she became like a mother to me, and I stayed with him because of her. Just for tonight, I want to stay beside her, even if she will hate me later when I leave her cheating son.

She gave me a skeptical look. "A little misunderstanding?"

I nodded. "Yes. Please, may I sleep in your house tonight?"

She looked at me incredulously. "Do you even need to ask that? Of course, go on upstairs and sleep in the room beside Vincent if you like...or...you could wait in his room." She giggled playfully.

I laughed in return, but then something she had said caught my attention. "'Wait in Vincent's room'? Is he not home?" I asked.

She shook her head in the negative. "No dear, Vincent went to the royal ball earlier this evening"

My eyes widened in surprise. Vincent was at the ball? But why didn't I see him?