THREE SHADES OF LOVE (Part - 1)

Three Shades of Love Story
Part - 1
Sanchaita Roy Chowdhury

Today was a very important day at Bhawanipur High School because it was the school's Final Sports Day. On this occasion, the school gate remained open throughout the day. Every year, this school organizes a grand sports final. The preparations for the sports day were in full swing. Students from different classes were running inside the school premises. The school's microphone announced a 150-meter race competition involving the school's teacher, which named the closest and dearest friend of Saranya, Mrigank Chaudhary.

Mrigank Chaudhary and Saranya Sanyal were very good friends. They had enjoyed each other's company since childhood. Growing up together, studying together, facing challenges - they had done everything together. Both of them studied in the same school and lived close to each other's homes. Mrigank's father was a close friend of Saranya's father. They were childhood friends. Mrigank was only a year older than Saranya. But observing them, it was hard to tell. Their friendship was no secret to anyone at the school. Seeing Saranya, their two friends, Anima and Surya, said, "Where were you for so long?"

Panting, Saranya replied, "Oh, stop asking, I got delayed leaving home today. I thought the school gate for the Final Sports Day was still closed."

Anima and Surya asked, "Who do you think will win?"

Struggling to catch her breath, Saranya said in a sentence, "It's Mrigank again."

Surya asked, "Are you sure?"

Saranya confidently said, "Absolutely sure."

Surya remarked, "You seem more confident about Mrigank than yourself."

Anima stated, "I'm telling you, Mrigank won't win."

Saranya emphatically said, "I'm saying he will win, that's it."

Anima replied, "Okay, let's make a bet. If Mrigank wins, I'll treat you to ten rupees' worth of street food. And if he doesn't, you'll treat me."

Saranya agreed, "Alright, that's how it'll be."

Mrigank indeed emerged victorious in the 150-meter race competition.

Mrigank Chaudhary excelled in everything. His academics were excellent, and so was his performance in sports. Moreover, he was a very calm and composed person, quite different from the usual hotheaded teenagers. It was rare to find someone as cool-headed as him at this age. There was a serene aura on his face, which conveyed a sense of mental contentment. If anyone were considered the best student in the school, it was Mrigank Chaudhary. He was sixteen, had an average appearance, fair complexion, quite tall, and not very talkative. All the teachers at the school loved and cared for him.

On the other hand, Saranya Sanyal was short, had a dusky complexion, not very tall, but she was a package of all the frustrations and ego, which all found its way towards Mrigank.

After the sports event, Saranya went up to Mrigank and said, "You ran splendidly today! Splendid! If you keep running like this, one day you'll leave even Usain Bolt behind."

Anima casually said, "I don't find it impressive."

Mrigank chuckled softly, "Why? What happened to you?"

Anima replied, "Because of you, I'll lose money today."

Mrigank, puzzled, asked, "Because of me?"

Anima explained, "Yes, as per your win."

Surya interjected, "Oh, they were both betting on a ten-rupee street food treat. Anima said you wouldn't win, and Saranya said you would. Saranya won, meaning Anima lost. So, Saranya has to treat her."