CHAPTER NINE

We all amble into Quill's dirty spacecraft. Gamora flies us out to the outer space around the prison, careful to keep close after what Quill had conversed with her.

"Well, how's he going to get to us?" Rocket yells out.

I lean against the wall, feeling exhausted and trying to keep my gaze away from the bleeding arm that I'm cradling.

"He declined to share that information with me," Gamora huffs out, keeping a close eye on the prison for any sign of the "Star-Lord." She sits in the driver's seat with Rocket on her front right and Drax in a reflecting seat on the left. Groot hangs in the back with me, roots wrapped around unconventional handholds on the ceiling.

"Well, screw this, then! I ain't waiting around for some humie with a death wish," Rocket throws up his paws and shakes his head. He seems to remember something as he whips his head up and back at Gamora. "You got the Orb, right?"

"Yes," Gamora answers confidently as she reaches her hand into Quill's purse. I stretch my neck to look over the back of her chair, wondering what the Orb looks like. She pulls out a handful of random snacks of jerky. She throws them to the side and hurriedly holds up the bag to peer inside the space. It was empty.

I let out a sigh of disappointment as Gamora realizes the Orb is missing. "It's gone," she says with a hint of frustration in her voice. We all exchange worried and enraged glances, realizing that our escape just got a lot more complicated. We can't afford any more setbacks if we want to bring this Orb to the buyer and receive our money. I'm worried that without the Orb, our agreement about myself being a free passenger will no longer hold up.

"If we don't leave now, we will be blown to bits," Rocket, the ever-optimist, informs us.

"No!" Gamora bites back. "We're not leaving without the Orb."

But before we can dwell on the situation for too long, Drax spies Quill flying towards us.

"Behold."

All who were sitting, are now congregated by the opening of the ship, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Star-Lord—whether it be because they missed him or because he has the Orb. I'll take my bets on the latter.

"This one shows spirit," Drax starts, as he and Gamora lift him. "He shall make a keen ally in the battle against Ronan. Companion, what were you retrieving?"

Quill reaches into his leather coat and pulls something out of a pocket and hands it to Drax.

Drax inspects the item while Quill walks away. "You're an imbecile."

Quill ignores him as he tidies up his ship. By "tidy up," I mean he sweeps whatever was on his desk, into the drawers, kicks knick-knacks out of the way, and hangs up his coat. We all watch for a moment before realizing that we have things to do and berating Quill would be worthless.

I walk over to Rocket, who has already made himself at home with Quill's tools, which I hope is a safe idea. I observe him as he tears things out of Quill's ship and immediately starts putting them back together to make something new.

"Are ya just going to stare or are you going to sit down?" Rocket asks, not looking up from whatever he is doing.

Realizing I've been caught, I sit down on an overturned bucket next to him.

"What are you making?" I ask, half curious and half uncomfortable with the silence.

Rocket looks up at me with a mischievous grin. "Ah, just a little something to give us an edge in a fight," he replies, his eyes gleaming with excitement. As he continues to work on his invention, I can't help but feel a sense of anticipation building up. Whatever Rocket is creating, it's bound to be both impressive and dangerous, just like him.