chapter 10 | demoness

The saltwater lapped before her feet, the sound of birds' cries pierced the air, and the smell of saltwater filled her nostrils.

Love rarely had allowed her outside of Clover Gardens, but on every off chance, he took her to Jones Beach.

The ambiance of the beach was enough to soothe her.

She had never experienced the sensation of having absolutely no notion of what her next move should be.

Even when she was trapped by Love, she always knew to work toward her escape. It was odd to think about, but the institute had truly become a haven from Love.

She couldn't understand what was happening.

Why did Estella's sister want to arrest her?

Was Love behind all of this?

Hero shut her eyes before planting her butt on the sand of the beach. She hated the aftermath of the beach, but running her fingers through the soft sand was strangely satisfying.

It was only a moment more of peace before she saw a shadow looming over her. It wasn't much of a surprise to see Matthew lurking behind her.

He looked out of place at the beach. He hadn't even taken off his shoes to walk on the sand.

"We seem to always find each other at the most inopportune moments," Hero muttered, resting her chin on her arms.

Matthew grunted as he plopped down next to her.

"By the Angel, I despise the beach," Matthew said as a greeting.

"You didn't have to retrieve me."

"According to Pistol, I did."

Hero sighed.

They sat in there for a moment of silence.

Hero tipped her chin towards him. "How did you even find me?"

Matthew didn't speak, but pulled out a smashed item and handed it to her.

Hero stared at it before realizing what it was.

"My hat," she said stupidly. "The one I wore when I bit that demon."

"You looked lovely with the blood on your face, by the by," said Matthew.

She took the hat in her hands and stared at it.

"I used a tracking rune. It led me right here." He looked out at the water. "I was made unaware New York had such a lovely beach."

"I used to come here with my parents," Hero admitted. "Before they died."

Matthew glanced at her, surprised by her opening up.

She ran her hands over her face. "They want to arrest me."

Matthew froze.

"What?" he questioned.

Hero shrugged. "I have no idea what I have done. But, I overheard Florence telling Virginia that they had come to the institute to have me arrested."

"Why would they not inform Pistol of this?"

"How would I know?" Hero snapped.

Realization dawned on Matthew's face. "That's why you ran."

"You've truly proven your brilliance," Hero said sarcastically.

Matthew pushed up to his feet and held out his hand.

Hero couldn't help but notice the way their positions from last night had switched. Hero was on the floor, while Matthew was towering over her.