Prologue

TW: blood, attempted murder.

"Sorry, Dream, you should have paid me more." The hooded white figure spoke, his voice ringing through the room with confidence.

A boy was shaking at the end of the sword as he watched everyone he'd ever known enter through the purple portal that he dreaded so much. The boy thought that he was gonna die right there in the cold room, but his friends had brought him new hope. Small, yet still present.

"Y/n!" A tall man, not much older than the boy at blade's end, pushed his way through the crowd, quickly making his way towards the scene playing out in front of him.

Another held him back, having placed his hand on the man's shoulder. "Ranboo, don't," his voice was firm, gentle but wary all at the same time. His armour glowed ominously and the boy knew that he wasn't one to mess with.

"Let me go, Sam!" The enderman hybrid was having none of it. However, Ranboo didn't struggle, he just stood to the side of him with tears in his eyes.

The blade that was pressed up against the boy's throat faltered for a moment, Y/n was staring straight at Ranboo.

"Ranboo?" Her voice was a mixture of fear and anxiety, as well as confusion.

"Y/n! Drop your sword!" Sam shouted. Lava flowed, filling in the background noise. The girl stared back at Sam, something unreadable in her eyes.

Either she slits my throat now or she drops her damned sword.

Tommy had been through enough, he just wanted to be done now, to either die or head back home with Tubbo and never deal with Dream or Y/n ever again.

Y/n made eye contact with Dream, who stood behind her. His mask hid whatever was up with his face, whatever he was thinking and whatever he was feeling. As if he was afraid that would give away his next move or end up being the death of him.

A determined look crossed her face and she turned back to the boy. "Sorry, Tommy."

This is it. This is the moment that she slits my throat and takes my life.

One moment she seemed ready to end his life with a flick of her wrist, and the next she was launching herself at Dream. Her sword swung in a wide arc above her head towards his.

The man was stunned for a short moment, but he recovered quickly and ducked, leaning backwards towards the ground, resting on his hand. He kicked out with leg, sweeping hers from under her. Y/n stumbled back, trying to catch her footing, giving Dream the time to spring back up and draw his own blade.

Tommy couldn't watch. He was already on his feet and headed for his friend. The brunet was shaking, and Tommy embraced him in a hug. The clashing of swords along with the rushed footsteps against the obsidian floor told the boys that the battle wasn't over. Nor was the war. Tommy couldn't watch.

He dug his face into Tubbo's shoulder, drenching the boy's shirt with his tear stains. Tubbo just pulled him in tighter, and he was aware of the other boy's tears hitting his own clothing. Tommy hadn't cried before, and he had vowed he wouldn't. But right now? It didn't matter. The life of his friend had been in danger, and he was glad that nothing sinister came of it.

Shouts rang through the room, shouts of warning and shouts to stop the fight. Above it all, however, remained the clanging of metal, the cursing of pain and the flighty footsteps of the fighting duo.

Both Dream and Y/n were incredibly skilled with swordsmanship, and Tommy could remember when Y/n would practice with him when L'manburg expected another war or when Wilbur had instructed them to practice more. Tommy didn't know how long this fight would go on. He only wished it would end right then and there.

Curiosity won over him and Tommy brought his head up and looked at the scene that played in before him.

Dream's sword was locked with that of Y/n's, and he was pushing against it. Both were bloodied, clothes stained and skin cut. There was even a small pool of blood gathering bellow Dream's feet.

Around them stood the others, among them Ranboo and Sam, who had his sword drawn and at the ready if anything did go wrong.

Tommy found it weird. Nothing made sense. Just moments ago Y/n was ready to end his own life, and now she was sword to sword with the man whose plan it was in the first place. And there was always the chance that this was all fake and that they'd planned this fight incase plan A went wrong. He guessed that it was so that at least one of them wouldn't end up in prison and could break the other out.

Well he wasn't going to let that happen. Not in a million years.

Y/n drew her sword back and dodged Dream's. She lunged and dug her elbow into his chest, and he stumbled back, hitting the wall with his back. Quickly recovering, he blocked her swing that was flying towards his head, before swinging at her hand which held her blade.

He hit home and Y/n dropped her sword on impact. Blood began to gush from her wound. The girl clutched her wrist with her free hand and was biting her teeth.

The man began to approach her, and she backed up, up until her back hit the obsidian wall. Dream had her right where he wanted her. If everything was planned in the first place, she had nothing to fear. However, Tommy was well aware of the fact that Y/n was on her last life.

In fact, he had watched her sacrifice her first two for Ranboo and for L'manburg. Tommy's head hurt from the confusion.

Tommy couldn't handle it. He was shaky and couldn't control his breathing. It was all too much. The events, the pain and the mental and emotional strain that he had gone through was slowly breaking him.

Besides to that, Y/n had been his close friend. It had shocked him when she stood beside Dream with her sword drawn. Both of them.

He remembered Tubbo's betrayed face. The same fear the blond had felt mirrored in his friend's eyes.

Y/n now stood in a dire situation. She was aware of the fact that her last life may be cast too. Her only hope lied in the people around her.

Tommy stood up, letting go of Tubbo and facing his new enemy. She looked at him, fear in her eyes. Tommy did nothing.

Dream grabbed the collar of Y/n's shirt and had his head near her ear. He moved his mask a little upwards, and Tommy could see the smirk playing on his lips. He watched as Dream whispered something inaudible.

Y/n's eyes widened. Her eyes frantically searched the room and landed on Ranboo. Fear, anxiety and something unreadable was clouding her eyes. Tommy almost felt sorry for the girl.

Then, just as soon as Dream had pulled her towards him, he pushed her back against the wall, driving it into the stone surface. Y/n scrunched her face up in pain, her eyes trained on him again. And the emotion in those eyes?

Hatred.

In one final attempt to rid of her opponent, she swatted at his face with her fist, however Dream caught it mid strike. He released a chuckle and shook his head, disappointed.

Her wrist was still bleeding heavily.

The people surrounding the duo were getting ready to attack.

Dream smashed the butt of his sword into Y/n's forehead.

Y/n slumped to the ground, motionless.

And Tommy watched on as chaos ensued.

...

Thank you guys for giving this book a chance! I'm hoping to update the book at least once a week, but chances are it won't be as often.

Word count: 1350