My Prince

Just so you know, it's mostly fluff with a short and not very explicit smut at the end (but buckle up for the last chapter ;))

"Hello, do you know if his Majesty is at the Palace?"

Hongjoong stopped counting how many times he asked this question, despite the fact that the guard is always the same, he asks everytime.

Meeting the King can be a long and tedious procedure, which is understandable; at first Hongjoong would wait long minutes, even hours before getting an answer, if he got any.

But now it seems that the guard contacts one servant, who immediately runs to tell Seonghwa in person, without going through countless intermediaries.

The guard systematically leads Hongjoong into the small reception hall as he waits; Seonghwa told him that he had ordered this because he didn't want Hongjoong to wait in the cold, snow and rain in winter, or the blazing heat in summer.

He knows this room like the back of his hand, but he never get tired of it. Huge paintings and frescoes adorn the walls, along with sofas so beautifully embroidered that Hongjoong thought they were the most beautiful in the world. Well, that was before he discovered the King's private quarters, which may be more delicately adorned, but he thinks they suit Seonghwa better than all that pomp and circumstance.

As usual, Hongjoong observes his favorite painting. He has no idea what it represents, nor who painted it, but he loves it, the colors make him happy.

In the lower corner, however, he notices something unusual; a color that wasn't there before, a yellow that's much more orange than the one on the canvas. As he approaches, he notices that it's a small envelope, slipped into the frame.

Without being arrogant, he's almost certain it's intended for him. This yellow is the color he designated the day Seonghwa asked him for his favorite, and since then every intention towards Hongjoong is embellished by a touch of this yellow.

He takes hold of it with his fingertips, afraid to leave traces on the painting, and smiles at the small crown design on it, which only confirms his thoughts.

Hongjoong,

My Prince, I'm pretty sure you'll find that letter today, you're always the smartest and most observant. It's also a test to see if you know this painting well enough to notice this little detail, so I'm counting on you my Prince, don't let me down!!

Don't wait for me to come, go straight to my room, a surprise awaits you. Show the back of this card if the guards or servants ask you any questions, and you should be able to pass without any trouble.

Don't get lost on the way,

I'm waiting for you, your King.

Hongjoong puts the letter away with a smile, and heads for the wide doors that lead to the corridor reserved for specials guests or people working here.

He's not sure whether he feels powerful or intimidated; he's never been here without Seonghwa's company, but it's exhilarating. Even if it's a request from the King himself, it's considered one of the most serious violations for the common people.

As he approaches the golden door leading to the King's private appartement, a guard stops him firmly, one hand on the hilt of his sword.

"I'll ask you to leave, sir. No one is allowed in here without the presence of the King himself."

Slightly intimidated by the powerful aura of the man, and his sharp sword, Hongjoong pulls out the envelope and shows the back of the card to the guard, and is almost surprised when he excuses himself, letting Hongjoong pass with a respectful nod.