i l l u s o r y : 24

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED COPYRIGHTED 2015

I L L U S O R Y : 24

And then, everything ends up being okay. Life though continues on and everything becomes a blur in April and May. 

Making sure that I had gotten my graduation gown, along with my cap and making sure that I would invite all of my extended family to the graduation itself made things go even quicker. It also doesn't help that Mom and Rosie tease Bridger and me during moments we forget the world around us and are just paying attention to each other.

None the less, graduation comes faster than expected on May twenty first. Get up early to go and do rehearsal in the school gym...check. Go home and wait till the last minute to slip on my graduation gown and cap...check. Walk up onto the stage with black high heels that are taller than any heels I've ever owned (they're Mom's) with a face that is easy to read, a face that shows that I'm paying more attention to not tripping than soaking in the moment...check.

And then finally being told to change the tassel on my cap to the other side because I'm now a graduated student of my high school is enough for me to blink and turn the tassel on my cap before throwing my cap up into the air, seeing in the mass of blue caps mine hovering in the air before falling at my feet once more. 

Picking it up I slip it back on my head before heading out of the gym with the rest of my class, knowing that the diplomas are at two large tables in the cafeteria. I barely have time though to leave the gym before I hear the sound of my name being called.

Turning my head, I'm welcomed with Jamal and Darby and Bridger running in my direction with large smiles plastered on their features. People push past me, wanting nothing more than to get their diplomas and to meet up with their family to take pictures and hear congratulations. Me, on the other hand, I'm just living in the moment.

Darby reaches me with the front of her gown unzipped, to reveal her nice black formal rounded neck dress and a pearl necklace hanging against her breast bone. Her large black hair is frizzy, and sort of a small Afro-but it's her natural hair. She said that she was tired of her weave and that she wanted to look more natural and comfortable at graduation. None the less, she looks beautiful with short hair because it frames her face perfectly.

I don't have time to respond to her before she lungs at me and hugs me tightly, along with squealing loudly before she pulls away from me. "Girl, you look so pretty. You're also rocking those heels. I was afraid that we'd end up having to go to the hospital," Darby comments and I blush a little before she moves away from me.

The front of my gown is unzipped too, showing my turquoise spaghetti strap sundress with a peach flower necklace that rests against my chest. My long brownish red hair has been curled and a dash of makeup has been sprinkled against my face, making the blue in my eyes pop out even more from both the makeup and the dress.

"Yeah, well I didn't, so we have that to celebrate too," I respond easily to Darby, who ended up being the valedictorian during graduation. Her speech was so emotional, there wasn't a single dry eye in the audience or from our classmates.

"Darby, babe, make sure you don't suffocate the girl. That's her family's job," Jamal buts in and Darby snorts at him before she hits him in the chest. "You do look pretty though, Jane. Congrats. Me and my lady though we need to go and get our diplomas now, our mothers aren't that patient."

Thanking him, I watch as Jamal and Darby head over to get get their diplomas before I turn and smile softly at Bridger. He looks so handsome in his blue graduation gown and with a nice white dress shirt with a red and white polka dotted bow tie nestled up at the top of his shirt I can't help but smile even more at him. His hair is a mess, as figured and his cap is sitting sideways on his head. He's wearing black dress pants and dress shoes.