Chapter 1

Benny sat alone at the table, not quite glaring at it as he sipped the remainder of his soda. He'd been ditched by yet another date that decided he wasn't worth the annoyance. Not that he'd even really wanted to go out with the guy in the first place, but his siblings kept setting him up on these blind dates. And in his usual fashion, he'd driven his date off with his nonstop rambling about space and spaceships. He couldn't help it. He'd known from the moment he could first pick up a book and flip through it that space was his calling, and it had remained his greatest passion.

He sighed and rubbed at his temples. Damn it, this was the last date Jenny and Denny had any say in. He needed to get even with them.

...He needed to find the worst possible person he could date and convince them to play along, just long enough to piss off his siblings to the point they left him well and truly alone. He tapped his fingers on the table. Who could that possibly be, though?

Business was the first name that came to mind. He actually snorted out loud as he dismissed that thought immediately. There was no way he'd be able to tolerate the former overlord for longer than two seconds without wanting to strangle him. But that thought led to another.

Benny wondered- would Bad Cop be amenable to the idea of 'dating' him for a few months?

Jenny winced as their door slammed open. Another date that ended poorly. She was about to get an earful, she just knew it. "Jenny!" her younger sibling bellowed.

"You're back late," she greeted, trying to play it cool. Benny glowered at her.

"That was the last one," he hissed. She sighed, slumping.

"I'm sorry Benny, I really thought I did good picking him out..."

"I don't need you and Denny to set me up!!" Benny shrieked. "I'm not about to drop dead of loneliness! Just because neither of you can stand not to be constantly kissy-faced with someone, that doesn't mean I need to be too, alright?!"

"Benny-"

"NO!" he shouted. She flinched back. Benny paused, drawing in a deep breath and counting to ten before slowly releasing it. "Just... stop trying to force it, alright? The right guy will come along when he's meant to, and I promise you'll be the first to know."

"I just want you to be happy," she mumbled miserably. Benny sighed and pulled his sister into a hug.

"I am happy, Jenny. I have you and Denny, and I got space back. I don't need anything more right now."

"If you say so," she huffed, returning the hug.

"I do."

Bad Cop barely held back a sigh as his date arrived

Bad Cop barely held back a sigh as his date arrived. She looked young- too young for his tastes really, she had to be around a decade younger than himself. Mum and Dad must be getting desperate, Good Cop sighed. Bad Cop murmured wordless agreement. The young woman spotted them and scowled. "What are you doing hanging around here?" she spat.

"Waiting for our date," Bad Cop answered, tone flat. She jolted.

"Wait. You're who they set me up with?!"

"Surprise."

"Oh fuck no-"

"Look," Bad Cop interrupted with a sigh. "This wasn't our idea. Mum and Dad worry, is all."

"Then why did you bother coming?"

"We didn't want you to think you'd been stood up. You don't deserve that." She seemed slightly mollified by his answer.

"I'm still not staying."

"We don't expect you to. Do you need a cab or anything?"

She rolled her eyes. "No thanks, I'm good." They watched as she turned around and walked away, fury in every step. Bad Cop sighed and pulled out their phone, calling to cancel yet another reservation.

"I don't think I can take any more of this."

Neither can I, Good Cop murmured in agreement. You know they won't stop until they see us settled with someone, though.

"We'll just have to find someone to 'settle' with then. Someone willing to play along just long enough that Mum and Dad will think it was serious and leave us alone when we break it off."

And who in the world could that possibly be? Literally everyone knows who we are now, what we've done. We'll just get met with more attitude.

"I don't know, alright?" Bad Cop grumbled miserably. "But we gotta try. Else I might actually go jump off a bridge like we're so frequently told to."

Oh, please don't do that...

"I won't," Bad Cop sighed. "I wouldn't do that to you. But I may do something drastic if things don't change soon."