The Shaws

note - hello if there were wrong grammars committed please forgive me im still learning things thank you x

__________________________________________           

          It was all gray. The clouds were mourning and ready to weep. The arms of the great sun were trying to reach out the ground but the clouds were in such a grave mood to even let a single ray pass. The air was chilly and cruel, slightly pinching skins underneath woolen garments. The world was sulking, drinking the dark potion the sky laid on its table.

          It was supposed to be a sad, sleepy day for Verna Shaw but whilst the world was gray, her cheeks were the perfect shade of pink. While the sun failed to shine, her eyes were bright, twinkling pair of emeralds. Her apple-colored lips curled into a wide, charming smile as if she knew that if she's going to enchant the gods today, she will succeed. Her black braided hair was touched by daisies both yellow and white. Her white, shoulder-bared dress twirled when she turned around in front of the mirror.

          Verna can't contain her excitement that when she heard cars honking outside their mansion she ran to the window and stuck her head to see the visitors. She was giggling while eyeing the parade of Mustangs outside their house. Blue, green, yellow, red and white, all colors made her excited like a little girl would feel with ponies.

          Her relatives started emptying their cars. Lifting and pulling baggage from their compartments. She let her eyes roam; searching for the main reason she was making extra efforts to look lovely this morning. She looked at the cars one by one until she saw a boy—no, almost a man grown now especially with his coal-black suit and tie and slacks. Verna loved him even more in black. It made his eyes stand out a little more. He was collecting his luggage from the backseat of his car but Verna was so eager to see his face and so she shouted his name.

          "Arthur!" she called.

          When his baby blue eyes met her green ones, Verna thought the gray clouds were slowly dispersing because suddenly all felt and seemed so bright until he smiled at her, and everything became brighter. That was the kind of smile she was yearning to see. That kind of smile you can slowly feel tugging at the hems of your heart, teasing you to smile back at him. My favorite smile, she whispered in her mind.

          It took a very loud shout from her mother to break the connection their eyes formed just by looking at each other to break. She commanded her to go down and welcome the visitors. Verna kindly obeyed knowing she can finally get close to Arthur and speak to him. She missed his voice. She missed his smile and the way he pushes back a lock of strayed blond hair from his eyes. She missed his lips softly placing a kiss on the top of her hand whenever he sees her. How soft will it be when he places his lips onto mine? Giggling at the thought, Verna started to usher their relatives into the house.

          She showed her courtesies, asked them how the trip was and joked from time to time to make them feel at home. Her uncles and aunties greeted her, kissed her cheeks, thanked her and praised her for her good manners.

          Verna was smiling widely. She was very happy to see their extended family once again. Her father was born in a very large family and has nine siblings including him. Seven out of the nine families came. Each of them brought two to five family members with them. Looking at all of them, she can't help herself to be amazed. It was the birthday of her father's father and the guests were not even close to half of the members the Shaws have all in all.