Seven

James lets go of his wife's hand the moment their feet touch the cobblestone road in Godric's Hollow. His heart feels empty leaving his nephew behind despite the proof in his hand that Orion is doing just fine without them.
"It wasn't meant to be like this," James mutters, looking down at the still picture of his little man holding a fish up, smiling as if it was the best day ever. "We were supposed to grow as a family, him and Harry were to see each other every day, and—"
"I know, but he's happy where he is, and Harry needs us now," Lily says, wiping the tears from her cheeks. "Life doesn't happen the way we want it to, and that sucks. But the only thing we can do is be the best parents we can for our son and try to be there for Orion from a distance, like the Aurors said."
"I just can't—" James pauses, his footsteps stopping as he looks up to see a small pillar of smoke coming from the direction of their cottage. "Lily," he gasps, horrified as his heart plummets.
"James?" Lily stops a few feet in front of him, confused until she follows suit and looks to where his eyes are fixated. "Harry!" she yells, taking off in a run.
By the time they reach what's left of their cottage, they are forced to make their way through the throngs of Muggles surrounding the ruins. Out of breath and with tears falling from their eyes, they finally reach the small picketed gate and come face to face with their old Headmaster and, of all people, Hagrid.
"Albus!" James yells at the old man who promised them that their family would be safe. "Where's Harry?"
"Oh god," Lily cries, looking at the enormous hole in the roof above her son's nursery that continues to emit a small amount of smoke. "Please—"
"Harry is safe," Albus says calmly, holding up his hand and pointing to the Keeper of Keys.
Lily lets out a relieved sob while jumping over the gate and practically rips Harry from Hagrid's arms. James, on the other hand, is completely gobsmacked as he follows his wife, completely forgetting the picture that slipped from his numb hands and dropped to the ground. "Where's Mary?" James asks, looking up at his old Headmaster.
Dumbledore shakes his head sadly then waves his wand towards the crowd, muttering something under his breath. One by one, the nosy Muggles surrounding the ruins of the cozy cottage turn around and walk away with looks of confusion on their faces. "We should take this conversation somewhere else," Dumbledore says lowly when they have all disappeared. "I believe Rosemerta should have some private rooms available for you until we can get things settled."
James nods, understanding what Albus was trying to say. Turning back to his wife, she takes his hand, and for the fourth time that night, their bodies disappear in a tight swirl, leaving the cracked photo of their nephew lying in the garden of the place that used to be home.

When they had been told that the only way Voldemort could have found them was if one of their friends betrayed them, James was consumed by a sense of anger so strong it scared not only Lily but also himself. The only bright side was that it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular except for whoever turned their backs on them and at himself for leaving his son in the first place. He might not have lived if he was home, but at least he would have been there to protect his son. Instead, they lost a friend so close she might as well be Lily's sister.
Mary had been his girlfriend since fifth year, and James wanted to believe that there was something in this situation, something that he himself wasn't seeing. Yet everything they were saying added up to him being the one that betrayed them. Everything inside him wanted to say that Remus had nothing to do with it, that he was innocent, but emotions kept rolling wildly out of control.
"You think it was Remus," James shouts, pacing the office-like room Rosmerta brought them to. His unusually messy hair was almost standing on end with how many times he's run his hands through it. The Minister and Dumbledore alike said that the tip given from their spy said that it was one of their friends that turned them over to Voldemort. He didn't think any of his friends would be capable of that, after all they've been through, especially Remus. "It couldn't have been; he would never—"
"Aurors and Dumbledore stated Mary Selwyn was found alone in the house. She was lying on the floor in front of Harry's crib with no wand in sight," Millicent Bagnold said calmly. "You, yourself said that when you left, he was there, yet no one can seem to find him."
"Minister," Dumbledore interrupts, placing a hand on the table between him and Millicent. "I know what was in my report, and I'm not refuting that, but I was wondering if there have been any other leads? Possibly from one of the other friends that may not be in the country? Perhaps maybe leads on Peter Pettigrew?"
"You can't be serious, Albus," Lily gasped. "Sirius?! No one's heard from him in ages, not even the—"
"Sirius would rather give his life for ours; he wouldn't turn on us. And Peter, he's too afraid to think about a Death Eater, let alone join them," James cuts her off, knowing they can't let anyone know where they were. As far as the Ministry and Dumbledore knows, James and Lily went on a date and lost track of time celebrating the good news of Lily being pregnant again. "I feel like something is missing here. Remus loved Mary and Harry alike; it doesn't make sense."
"I must confess," Albus says, looking at James. "Mary had requested that we pull Remus from the underground. She was worried about his well-being, saying that he wasn't himself when he was home. Quick to temper and seemed as if he did not want to be there, as if he was only there to fulfill an obligation to her."
"There were rumors, but to believe them?" Lily whispers, looking down to the ground.
"When Remus resurfaces, I will try to stall the proceedings as much as I can to give the Aurors time to investigate thoroughly," Minister Bagnold sighs. "We will try to investigate all possible leads that come through, but I'm afraid due to his condition the Wizengamot might not be unbiased when they eventually bring him to trial."
"What do we do until then?" Lily asks, worry lacing her voice. "We don't know who we can trust."
"Trust is a funny thing, Mrs. Potter," the Minister replies, standing to her feet and donning her cloak. "We never know who we can trust in times of peace, let alone war. The one thing we can trust in is that we should mourn the ones we lost and celebrate with the ones that have lived. We will do our best to figure this mess out on our end; you and Mr. Potter have a rough road ahead of you. I won't deny that, especially since the one sleeping in your arms will be known throughout the Wizarding World as our savior. I'm sure there won't be an adult or child alive that isn't celebrating as we speak. Good luck to you all." She finishes before disappearing on the spot.

                                                                                                 ~~~~~~ FOUR YEARS LATER ~~~~~~

Just west of the small, quiet town of Forks, Washington, lies the Quileute tribe's Reservation. To most, it's a secluded community, unwelcoming to outsiders. However, for Charlie Swan and his seven-year-old nephew, it's become a second home. A loving home in which Charlie's best friends, Billy and Harry, insisted on throwing Orion's birthday party on the reservation.
When Charlie brought the idea to Saranna and his nephew overheard, Orion let them know how much he loved the idea. Whenever Charlie was working and Uncle Theo or Anna weren't available, Orion spent his time with his best friends, Sam Uley and Jacob Black on the Res. They rode miniature dirt bikes, jumped off rocks into the freezing ocean, and ventured through the woods on their made-up treasure hunts. So, letting them organize Orion's birthday party was the easiest decision Charlie ever made.
Now here they were with balloons, streamers, and tables laden with potluck dishes decorating the big yard off Billy and Sarah's house. With almost every kid on the Reservation in attendance running around laughing filled to the brim with the sugary snacks Sue made, playing under the canopy Charlie snagged from work, wrestling in the muddy gound, or watching mini dirt bikes with training wheels race in circles over small jumps. A day filled with nothing but smiles and love as they celebrated the birthday boy.
Though he seldom saw his own daughter, every smile on Orion's face, surrounded by those who didn't abandon him, helped fill the void in Charlie's heart. It fueled the hope that, despite what Renee said about his parenting abilities, his daughter might recognize the good father in him and want to come back home. Maybe that what drives him the most to show Renee and his daughter that he could be a good father despite what they think of him but whenever he goes down that rabbit hole of sadness he remembers that the love he holds for Orion differs from the love he has for his Isabella. And that its okay to love them equally, no matter what they say.
"You did well by letting them throw this one, Charlie," Saranna said, interrupting his thoughts. "He's having, as he would say, the best day ever."
Charlie laughed and took a sip of his beer. "Every day that includes Sam and dirt bikes is the best day ever to him."
"True." She laughs. "What did you get him?" Saranna asked, nudging his shoulder as they watched the two boys race around the makeshift track.
"Um," Charlie rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, unsure if Saranna would like what he and Theo came up with. "Well, it was more Theo who picked it out."
Saranna sighed, facing him with a stern look. "What. Did. You Get. Him?"
"A junior broom," Charlie mumbled, looking to the ground.
"A WHAT?" Saranna exclaimed, feeling her protectiveness rise.
"Theo says it'll be good for him to learn if he wants to play the Quidpot game in school," Charlie rushed to ease her worries.
For a brief moment, Saranna seemed to relent, but in reality, confusion clouded her expression. "Quidpot?"
"The game with the hoops, or is it where the ball explodes? Theo talks too fast and gets me mixed up sometimes," Charlie asked, genuinely confused.
Saranna sighed, attempting to keep her emotions in check. "Charlie, it's two different games. Quidditch is the one with the hoops, mainly played in Britain. Quadpot is the one with the exploding Quaffle here in America. Both are played on brooms by players older than seven-year-olds."
"He manages a bike okay enough," Charlie argued quietly, using Theo's defense.
"A bike that goes no more than fifteen miles an hour, on the ground, with training wheels and a junior broom that goes twenty feet in the air with nothing to protect him are two separate things," she explained, trying to bridge the understanding gap.
Even though it had been five years since that day when she and Theo arrived in Forks, Washington, to explain everything to Charlie, he sometimes struggled to grasp the dangers of the magical world. "Can he wear a helmet?" Charlie asked, feeling heat on the tips of his ears. "Maybe some elbow and knee pads? Would those help? 'Cause I got all that too. Also, Theo said that the jersey we got him will protect—"
"He's still too young," Saranna sighed, trying not to give in to his pouty chocolate eyes. "Maybe in a year or two when he gets a little bigger."
"Oh," Charlie mumbled, looking dejectedly at the ground.
"I'm not saying never," Saranna said softly, placing her hand on his arm, rubbing it slowly for comfort. "Just not now. Okay?"
Regardless of being Orion's guardian, Charlie always let Saranna have a say in matters like this. Deep down, he knew he could shut her out and let his nephew have the broom, but the love and care she showed Orion made him realize that what he saw when she interacted with Orion mirrored how his own mother used to be with him, up until the day she passed away. It was the love and care only a mother could show their kid, and seeing that being shared between the two of them made his heart beat in a funny way, an way he's come to love himself.
Charlie nodded, silently enjoying the goosebumps that blossomed on his skin where her hand touched him. "Alright then. But we were so focused on the broom; we forgot to get him anything else."
Saranna laughed, smacking the arm she was just rubbing before turning to face the track. "Good thing I have backups." She grinned while watching the little boy who lit up her life go round and round in circles with his best friend.