Non-Magic = Primitive

Seat is underlined because I can't cross it

-

The new king sat upon his new throne, head held high and pride in his wake. The kingdom he vowed to protect when he was a knight now no longer under siege of power-hungry monarchs. The people had chosen him as their new king.

"Your majesty, your mage is here."

"Thank you, bring them in." he paused then said, "And please don't bother with the 'yoUR majeSTY' business, Jake is fine!"

The servant didn't agree but nodded. Jake couldn't wait to see the talentful mage again, not only had she helped but he believed she could help him rule this kingdom. He wasn't asking for marriage but a partner. They had to say yes, there was no way she would turn this down.

"Their greatness, Mage Alex Groffin."

Alex sighed, "Please Cailin, don't prefer to me like that. I'd rather be treated like any other friend."

Alex then walked forward to her friend. She was glad the battle was over, she could finally relax since her arrival. It was a bumpy that's for sure. Did they almost die on multiple occasions? Yes, they almost did, but they got some cool scars.

"Mage Alex! My friend," the King roared and stood to hug them. "My mother was right, I am thankful for that." He then laughed as he sat back down on his seat throne.

"Now to business," his voice boomed in the throne room. "Because you defeated the evil you can go back to your own world."-he paused-"Or you could stay here if you want."

He closed his eyes at the end awaiting their excitement, for their squeals of joy. Or for her to break her silence and gasp in relief. They must be so overwhelming hap-

"Nah, I think I'll go home," she said simply looking indifferent to the idea of staying.

But why? Why wouldn't she want to stay! He was so baffled and stumbled over his words till finally he stood up.

"Wait seriously? Why would you want to go back to your primitive world?" he cried impulsively not thinking, "We've got magic!"

Alex's eyes widen at her friend's outburst in shock and then began to fill with anger. "You think just because we don't have magic we're not as advanced as you?"

He then realized his mistake and tried to apologize about how he hadn't been his intent to offend or degrade her home world.

"No, quiet!" she shouted accidentally sending a magic wave out. "Just because magic was closed off in my world doesn't mean we can't handle ourselves! Just because we don't have a way to possess magic doesn't mean we can't have exciting lives! Just because we have no access to magic doesn't mean we are inadequate!"

During this she had marched slowly towards the new king. He had not thought it would go this way. Not at all.

"If it wasn't for your mother trying to find a champion in another dimension instead of dealing with the problem herself I would be home! I wouldn't have PTSD! Not that you know what that even is, especially considering you never actually listened to me anyway!"

She was in his face now and he felt like a scared child. And he didn't know what to do.

"So no, I want to go home! I don't want to be here! Whatever gave you that idea? The small joys of learning magic? Making friends here? No, it was a distraction so being here would be so much more tolerable!"

Her emotions seemed to squeeze at the magic inside. She was causing strong winds but did not care. She had to deal with people degrading her for being born a woman in her world, for not using the pronouns of that gender she was assigned. They may not have loved it at home but they had family and friends. People she cared about, she fought the battle for these people because it was the right thing and it would mean getting home in the end. It's why she worked so hard for them.

"Don't get me wrong, I did find joy and excitement in my time here, I do value my friendships. But I most certainly did not appreciate how or why I came to be in your world! So excuse me if I want to be home with my friends and family!"

She stepped away and took a breath.

"I will be leaving, I've already said my goodbyes to all my other friends. I came to the same with you, but it appears that you didn't truly see me as your friend but as a tool."

He finally sat up, "Of course, I see you as a friend! You're very important to me, just-"

"I've only ever been important to your usurp for the throne to get rid of those Crones. I do support you in that but you still only saw me as something that could be at your disposal." They looked him down and scoffed, "And to think you had changed. Turns out I was wrong, your body language said it all when I entered!

"I'd say you're just as bad as the Crones, but at least you're not power-hungry. Yet you still see some as things for your use."

She marched to the throne room doors pausing for a moment then turned to him again, "I do hope you learn to be better Jake. Goodbye tonto elf."

The new ruler sat there for hours looking at the door. He frowned at the word like he had so many times before. Both words actually. He had always meant to ask what they were and meant. But now he never would.