I Don't Know Who You Are

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

He looked terrible. He had red rings around his eyes, he was pale and he looked weak. He pulled out his phone and hesitated before pressing on the screen. He held the phone to his ear.

I felt the phone in my hand begin to vibrate and then it rang loudly.

Zayn's head snapped up.

My dad snatched my phone out of my hand and threw it on the ground. It shattered and I gasped.

I looked over at Zayn and he was gawking at me.

"Don't let him know that you're a boy!" My dad snarled in my ear.

I bit my lip, not knowing what to do.

"Wink at him, do something!" He whispered.

I did. I winked at Zayn. He looked confused. I looked almost completely different but Zayn knew what my dad looked like. Zayn stood up.

"Go say hi sweetie!" My dad said, obviously bored.

"I can't! That's Zayn!"

"...So?"

"He goes to my school! He knows me!"

"...And?"

"I can't talk to him!"

He flashed the knife in his pocket and I widened my eyes. I looked over at Zayn and he was walking towards me.

"I-I- What am I supposed to do if he knows who I am?!"

"Just pretend you're someone else."

"O-okay," i whispered. I walked towards Zayn to meet in the middle.

Zayn reached me and his eyes scanned over my body.

"Niall what did he do to you?" Zayn asked me, running his hands down my arms. I shivered, feeling goosebumps rising on my arms.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about..." I said in a girly voice.

"Niall... Please... Come back to me... I miss you... Please Ni..." Zayn was killing me and it would hurt him a lot when I said this.

"I don't know who you are," I said.

Zayn looked like he was about to burst into tears. I felt terrible. But my dad could hear everything I said. I looked back at my dad and he raised his eyebrows at me. I knew he wanted me to flirt. Jesus Christ here we go. "I think you're really cute though!" I fluttered my mascara covered eyelashes.

"Niall stop. I know it's you. You broke up with me because I was too over protective! Niall please. I heard your phone," Zayn cried.

I shook my head. "I don't know what you're talking about... I'm sorry. I really like you though..." I said, taking a step closer to him.

He frowned and looked down at me. "What has he done to you?"

I felt like crying but my dad came up behind me and ripped me away.

"Niall!" Zayn screamed, earning some strange looks from shoppers.

"Leave hi-her alone," my dad growled, almost saying "him". He got up in Zayn's face and Zayn glared at him.

"Don't hurt him. Or I will kill you myself," Zayn snapped.

"I'd like to see you try pretty boy," my dad said, tracing Zayn's jaw with his fingers.

Zayn jerked back. "Get your dirty hands off of me."

"Oh how scary," my dad said, walking back towards me. "Let's go fag."

Zayn looked hurt as my father dragged me away, me stumbling in my tall heels.

Zayn's POV

He's crazy. It's terrible. My beautiful Niall turned into a girl? He looked miserable. You could barely tell it was him. His dad was glaring at the back of his head the entire time we were talking. It killed me that he said he didn't know me. I thought he would at least tell me it was him.

I guess going to the mall was a bad idea after all.

I stood up and made my way back to my car. I slammed my head against the steering wheel.

I really need my Niall back.