Chapter 2: Heart to heart

Word of the bathroom incident spread immediately. Wherever we went, campers pointed at Percy and murmured something about toilet water. Or maybe they were just staring at me, as im still pretty much dripping
wet. I show him a few more places: the metal shop (where kids were forging their own swords), the arts-and-crafts room (where satyrs were sandblasting a giant marble statue of a goat-man), and the climbing wall, which actually consisted of two facing walls that shook violently, dropped boulders, sprayed lava, and clashed together if you didn’t get to the top fast enough.

So i returned to the canoeing lake, where the trail led back to the cabins. “I’ve got training to do,” I state flatly. “Dinner’s at seven-thirty. Just follow your cabin to the mess hall.”

“Syrus, I’m sorry about the toilets.”

“No worries its whatever.”

“It wasn’t my fault.”

I look at him skeptically, and he seems to realize it was his fault, somehow he messed the plumbing

“You need to talk to the Oracle,” I tell him

“Who?”

“Not who. What. The Oracle. I’ll ask Chiron.”

He stares into the lake and looks up as some of naiads smile and wave at him. I notice him wave back. “Don’t encourage them,” I warn “Naiads are terrible flirts.”

“Naiads,” He repeats looking completely overwhelmed. “That’s it. I want
to go home now.”

I frown “Don’t you get it, Percy? You are home. This is the only safe place on earth for kids like us.”

“You mean, mentally disturbed kids?”He says and I again almsot hit him to try to get him some common sense.

“I mean not human. Not totally human, anyway. Half-human.” I reply

“Half-human and half-what?”

“I think you know.”

“God,” he says finally “Half-god.”

I nod “Your father isn’t dead, Percy. He’s one of the Olympians"

“That’s…crazy.”

“Is it? What’s the most common thing gods did in the old stories? They ran around falling in love with humans and having kids with them. Do you think they’ve changed their habits in the last few millennia?"

“But those are just—” He cuts himself off “But if all the kids here are half-gods—”

“Demigods,” I correct “That’s the official term. Or half-bloods.”

“Then who’s your dad?”

“My dad is a mechanic at some shop i dont know i dont care” I try to answer honestly “I haven’t seen him since
I was very small. He wasn't a good guy and i got out."

“He’s human.”

“What? You assume it has to be a male god who finds a human female
attractive? How sexist is that?”

“Who’s your mom, then?”

I roll my eyes “Hestia. Goddess of the heart. I am my mothers only child and shes a virgin goddes or something like that so she never got a cabin thats why i stay in the cabin with you”

“And my dad?” He asks

“Undetermined, like I told you before. Nobody knows.”

“Except my mother. She knew.”