3 All Fun and Games

TW: Depiction of self harm/blood

Brooke

A pit forms in my stomach when we pull up to the school. There are cars everywhere and people all over the place. I didn't use to be this affected by people, but now I worry about the dangers in everything. I try not to think too much as we make our way deeper into the crowd. Every so often, we stop to say hello to people Ezra and Todd know, and the occasional face I recognize from Ida's. With every encounter, I smile politely but let the guys do all the talking. I was definitely not prepared for this today, and quickly feel my energy draining. I'm hyper aware of everything going on around me, listening for any hint of trouble. We finally find a spot to sit in the bleachers. I dig my palms into the cool metal and let out a sigh of relief. I chat with Ezra and Todd, and find that I'm starting to tune out the crowd. Soon, the announcer's voice booms in my head.

"Happy Friday y'all! We're so glad everyone could make it out to support our team for their first game of the season! Before we get our boys out here, let's take a minute to thank our sponsors." He lists several businesses and donors, pausing to allow everyone to cheer between each one. "And lastly, I want to thank the man who has generously provided uniforms and supplies to our team for yet another year. Give it up for Endo, owner of Owens Sporting Goods!" I'm a little stunned for a second, though I'm not sure why. I guess I would've thought Endo might have mentioned something about this when we spoke earlier. Not that he doesn't have a right to keep things to himself, he just doesn't seem the type that normally would. It's at this point that I notice everyone's heads turned to my left, and I see some people clapping a man on the back. When he looks in my direction, I see that it is, in fact, Endo. He catches my gaze, and I raise my eyebrows at him. He grins sheepishly and shakes his head, seeming embarrassed at all the attention. I chuckle, and Ezra looks at me like I'm crazy.

"What?" I snap, and he shrugs.

"Nothing, jeez." He says, raising his hands in defense.

A few moments later, the team floods the field. Ezra and Todd point out several players, telling me who's related to who and what kind of story each kid has. When the game starts, I find myself surprisingly involved, rooting for Todd's brother Justin and cheering along with the crowd at every little thing.

At halftime, Ezra and Todd stand. "We're gonna go hunt some nachos, you want to come with?" I shake my head, not wanting to fight through the crowd again. "Alright. Want anything?" I shake my head again. Once they go, I occupy myself by people watching. I notice how seemingly every person who walks by stops to talk to other groups, and I'm a little overwhelmed at how everybody knows everybody. Even though this is my hometown, in this moment I feel like an outsider looking in. With this thought in mind, I turn to the left to look at one of the few people I do know here. It just so happens that I find Endo already looking my way as well. I smile. He waves, saying something.

"What?" I say, cupping my ear. He holds up a finger. He hops up and shuffles through a maze of people before coming to a stop behind me.

"Hey." He smiles, and through his stubble I notice he has predominant dimples. "I see you decided to come out. Having a good time?"

I nod. "Yeah, I'm actually having fun so far. My cousin keeps it interesting with his commentary. You can sit if you want." He climbs down to my row and sits next to me. Once he's no longer standing over me, I breathe out and relax my shoulders.

"Is Todd your cousin?"

"No but practically. His boyfriend Ezra is. Our dads are brothers." I answer honestly, surprised that he didn't already know based on his easygoing conversation with Todd at Ida's. It's not like their relationship is a secret, but in this town it's hit or miss with the type of person you're dealing with.