Not Gonna Believe This

"You're not gonna believe this." - Challenge No.20

IT WAS SUNDAY and they had finally managed to steal away the evening just for themselves.

After dinner, Vera did the dishes while Jake brew the perfect decaf coffee pot - at least that was what she called it. It was their little ritual and Jake had missed it.

"So," she started pouting her lips a bit as she stretched the 'o', "I have that Rizzo deposition coming up on Wednesday. Everyone's gone crazy - our whole case depends on it. Think you'll be alright by yourself the next couple of days? I'll be coming home at the oddest hours, I'm sure."

"I've got the E.R. night shift on Tuesday anyway." Jake smiled with a shrug, and stole a quick kiss from Vera as she was reaching up to the cupboard,putting a plate away.

Jake poured the coffee in large, identical mugs."The Rizzo deposition you said?Wasn't that two weeks ago, hun?"

"What? No,"Vera frowned with a smile and shook her head.

"I think it was,"he decided and handed her a mug.

Vera took the coffee and headed toward the cozy little fireplace they had set up in the living room area.

"Remember, I made that awful pun about the name. Rizzo, riso... which is rice in Italian. I can't remember the joke, but it was pretty bad." He followed her closely and set his mug on the coffee table before plopping himself on the comfy sofa.

"You're right,actually," Vera said with a nod and took a long sip from her mug."Well, you're not gonna believe this," she added, looking away from Jake as she set her mug on the coffee table.

"I'm not gonna believe what...?" he asked as his smile gradually faded.

"Opposing council canceled, last minute," she said shaking her head and her lips pursed a bit before she continued, "They had a death. Yeah, you know the Brody family? Big deal among the judges. Huge. Everybody knows them. Opposing council is one of them. He's the son, really.So, when judge Brody died..."

Vera's words lingered and she pressed her lips together, nodding softly as her gaze wondered.

"That's too bad. Wow, his father died? And in two weeks he's just resuming...?"

"Oh, God, no. Bracket&Phillis brought in someone else. Got the new guy up to speed... With the judge's approval, of course," Vera explained and then buried her nose in the steamy mug, taking a long sip of coffee.

"Of course."Jake flashed a smile in her direction.

It was getting late and they were both exhausted so the bed sounded like a good idea.Vera laid on her side, her back to him. Soon he was listening to her regular deep breathing - she was asleep.

Jake couldn't keep his eyes closed. In fact, he was staring up at the ceiling. His mind hopped from idea to idea. Eventually, it focused on Vera'swords: You're not gonna believe this. He had recognized the phrase immediately but refused to let it register. He had used it himself, countless times.

"You're not gonna believe this. I need to take another shift tomorrow," Jake said to a pretty woman in red. Cassie. They had been a couple for six months.

"You're not gonna believe this. There was an accident on the landing strip. The plane got delayed and my phone just died. I'm sorry, baby," Jake said to a cute brunette. Jenna. She stood in the middle of the bedroom, angry and confused, but she seemed to be welcoming his apology and explanation. He and Jenna had been living together for three months.

"You're not gonna believe this. A drunk just jumped in front of my car. I'm at the E.R. right now. No, he's fine. But I'll be caught up here for at least two more hours. Don't worry. Go to sleep. I know you have a big day tomorrow at work. Love you. Sleep tight," Jake said on the phone to Katherine. They had been living together for a year then.

All of these - just stupid lies.

Jake stood up from the bed and rubbed his face trying to shake off the feeling. Doubt.It rattled his nerves.

He looked over his shoulder at Vera and listened to her breathing. She was fast asleep.Slowly and quietly, Jake made his way around the bed. Inches away from Vera's nightstand he stopped. Her phone, but a black outline,within his reach.

Cassie, Jenna and Katherine had been the three longest and closest relationships he had ever had in his adult life until Vera. At one point he had even believed that he would marry Katherine. Why had he lied to all three women?

Extra shifts were actually nights he spent at a motel in the company of other women. A plane delayed meant an extra day with the woman he had met at a Convention. Being stuck at the E.R., giving statements to the police meant a frisky nurse needed more of his attention that night.

Jake looked down at Vera as she was sleeping. Her pale complexion seemed to shine in the dimly lit bedroom. Her long brown hair spread in waves across the pillow. It smelled like strawberries. It always had.

He picked up her phone from the nightstand and stared down at the black screen. His index finger pressed the small button on the side and the screen lit up. She had a puzzle lock on her phone. He knew this. He had been the one who had set it up at her request. Jake dragged his fingertip over the puzzle, forming the correct pattern. Her phone was unlocked. He stared at that small icon that were her messages, his thumb in the air, ready to tap the screen.

Cassie, Jenna and Katherine. Jake had lied to all three. But he had never lied to Vera.He had never made excuses. He had never been with another woman since Vera.

You're not gonna believe this... He wanted to believe. So he pressed the small button on the side and the screen went dark again.

If you'd like to read a novel based on this story, vote here: http://challengetheproud.com/not-gonna-believe-this/

You are allowed to vote for multiple stories. In fact, I hope you do.