「 CHAPTER ONE 」

"Was it a string of connection or a coincidence that should be ignored?"

Atlas

"Your Highness, would you like a cup of citrus tea to start your day?" the butler offered as he carried the tray, enough to be possibly visible to the duke's gaze, yet he didn't even spare a single glance.

Nodding his head, his whole focus in the paper that he is currently examining. A duke's duty can be a sore to the brain, yet interesting to deal for it takes an accompany to take turns in the royal's affairs.

"You need to refresh yourself as well. Overworking can cause you... a deadly type of stress"

Atlas kept hearing those words, it could be tiring. Although the old man has a point, it is still his duty, to fulfill people's requests and expand the possessions of the family.

And as he gets more into it, he realizes that being a duke is not that hard. It's the position that makes you preyed on by those who are too obsessed with power.

"You can take your leave now"

The butler immediately took his leave and the room was filled again with a domineering silence.

It has been almost a week since his new release shocked a lot of aristocrats and nobles. And shockingly, the royal family was too silent about it.

The Castemont Empire, a rich and huge world, was ruled by the Castemont Royale for almost hundreds of years. Its prosperity has been maintained because of everyone's cooperation and strong faith in the Gods.

For a small flower still couldn't avoid any dirt to ruin its lovely color. The empire is not an exception, too good to be true.

One of those is the tender love of Emperor Calius to many women. His faith in his God was too sincere, yet he couldn't even stay loyal to his wife, the empress.

"A reign of illegitimacy, a blood that is too close to a commoner than a royal she is. How bold"

His eyes intently focused on the letter that had arrived yesterday. An appreciation and a very lovely gift.

'If I could just get a hold of her face'

It's always itching him, a woman that can ruin the high reputation of the almighty emperor.

A mistake, for it might need to happen.

It's aching his head, almost every day even sleeping, it always haunts him. Just who the hell would do such a thing? Revealing a piece of information that could not just a target's image but also yours. Well, only her.

And the engravings, always giving him such hope. E.D. A letter that has the smell of roses and old brandy tint. An essence of a scent, much stronger than a lullaby.

Smiling he kept thinking for any possible start.

For they are strangers, benefiting each other with no such thing as trust. Strangers that might meet or not, still, he would not stop until he had a brace of the woman's name and face.

The emperor's illegitimate daughter.

It was almost noon when the duke decided to go outside. With his not-so-disguise, he'll buy his favorite pages, much needed for a new arrival in the market of literacy.

Stalin, his butler, was always concerned and still thinking if he should order the knights to secretly tail the duke but knowing the young lad, he'd surely get a hold of those people.

The poor old man, the duke has always been a handful. But this week, it has been a total nightmare. The glory of the Hamilton Family, just what the hell is the Duke Atlas Hamilton planning?

And too ironic, the duke seems to accidentally bite his tongue. It was a laughter to someone who might know about this, minds are indeed too playful.

He expected the streets to be more calm but was rather the opposite. New merchants promoting their products. Mercenaries that are working for money and influence. Commoners playing and roaming around. Nobles, pretending to be peasants. Scouting or doing nasty deeds.

Yet for the Castemont Empire, even commoners are considered people with a rich presence in life, yet too shallow to uphold those entitled ones.

The duke sighed, "The capital is indeed a unique place"

Seeing that the store was now just a few steps away, he walked faster than he forgot to watch carefully for possible views.

Causing him to bump into a stranger.

"Damn...."

A lady to be specific. But wait, a lady?

The duke's eyes widened, not just by the fact that a lady cussed in front of a man but by the fact she was somehow too chaotic...

But he immediately stood up and helped the lady.

"I deeply apologize for my actions, miss. It was my haziness to reach my destination with no such thing as-"

"Yeah, yeah. Just... Be wary next time"

Atlas was too shocked. The lady stood up like nothing happened and fixed her dress. She was somehow rough and her hair was quietly messy. Eyes that are lazy-looking yet sharply beautiful to look at. Although she seems a messy lady, her skin is still like a tantalizing porcelain.

Atlas blinked a couple of times and realized that he was looking at her for too long. Just what the hell is he doing?

"This is not a staring contest. And let's just forget this happened. Bye, mister stranger," the lady said as she picked up her bags that fell that he just noticed.

Atlas felt a pang of guilt.

"If you wouldn't mind, can I at least buy you something since you looked like you're going somewhere far," Atlas suggested and even offered to let him carry her bags but he received something unexpected.

"Ah no, just forget it and you don't need to do that. It's alright"

Atlas gave her a look, "Are you sure? But I made a mistake by-"

"I said it's alright. So put yourself together and babush!"

She escaped in a flash and didn't even look back as she walked at a fast pace. Atlas was left, eyes widened and speechless. But before the woman could even walk further far, he did his might to reach her and shouted.

"Then just let me have your name, please!"

He heard the woman laugh yet gave him a quick turn, "It's Elissa, mister!"

She joyfully waved at him and then ran. He can't help but laugh, she's an eccentric person yet in the most good way.

Yet something made him can't leave her just be, the smell of roses. The smooth sweetness.

Atlas might make a reflection about this, his encounter with her was too quick yet memorable in the most weird way.

'A lady named Elissa, huh?"