the stranger i

"Hey, baby. Lost ya for a sec."

 Instantly, I thanked God. Allah. Buddha. Fucking Scooby Doo for sending someone to save me. I'd heard of people doing this in movies- pretending to be a girl's boyfriend or father when they saw her in trouble. Relieved, I was curious now about who my knight in shining armor was. I glanced up, hopefully discreetly enough. All I saw was a mop of black curly hair. I could tell this guy was a hell of a lot taller than me. Tall enough and intimidating too, it seemed, to make the two thugs back up a few steps. "These two giving you any trouble?" As I nodded, Shaved Head slipped the knife up his sleeve. 

"Saw that." Their confidence fading, Aerosmith and Shaved Head backed up, trying to disappear into the dwindling crowd of people. Without so much as another word at the two men, the stranger drew me closer to him and muttered " 'S get outta here." Keeping an arm around me, we wove through the few lingering fans and out the door. As soon as we got out the door, he pulled me off to the side. Both hands now gripping my arms, he asked, in the same rough voice "You alright? They scratch ya with that knife?" 

Outside, the parking lot lit up with light from the stadium as well as cars' headlights and the streetlights, I was able to get a good look at the man who had so valiantly come to my aid. "I'm fine, they didn't touch me," I said, looking up at the stranger. He was really tall, definitely over six feet. He had long, black, curly hair all over the place and dark eyes. And calloused hands, almost as rough as his throaty voice. He wore a worn leather jacket, sleeves covered in patches over a simple black shirt and pants. His face was young but hardened, and charming in a rugged sort of way. The fact that he was handsome as well as my savior made him even more compelling. I figured I should probably thank him, but he started speaking. "Coupla assholes. Drunk, probably," the stranger scoffed. "Yeah, I think so. Thanks for getting me out of there. It's cheesy but you're kind of my hero." Instantly, I cringed at myself. Hero? You're great at this. God! Hero... Even if it was true, it still sounded stupid. But the ghost of a smile flickered across the man's face, lingering for a second. It was a mischievous, cocky expression- exactly the kind that would make a girl swoon. Not... that I was swooning. 

"They say that about me."

"Do they?"

"Mhm."

"Really?"

"You have no idea."

"Well, it was nice meeting you. Thank you again. I... I should probably be getting home."

"All by yourself?"

"That's the plan."

"After what I just got you out of?"

"Oh, one-hundred percent."

"And I'm sure you'll be fine too, just an pretty girl on her own in a city with people like that."

"Don't you know it!"

"Because you're so good at keeping yourself out of trouble, especially with that tongue of yours."

"Luckily, I came to the right concert for tongues."

He laughed at this, dropping his gruff, sarcastic tone, making me smile. I was starting to enjoy the banter, but by this point it was well past midnight, and I had work tomorrow.