Chapter 24: Wreck of the Day

THREE MONTHS LATER

The last few months have been kind to the growing Armstrong-Chankimha family. Becky is now Becca's soccer coach with William (Friend stepped down as soon as Becky asked her to). Becky and Friend have only talked twice since then. The first time was at one of Becca's soccer games where Becky asked if she could be Becca's second soccer coach instead of her.

It's important to note that this wasn't out of malice. Becky just wanted to be closer to Becca and soccer was the best way to do that. Becca and Becky have had weekly days alone spending time together and it's been the best part of Becky's days since she was a kid herself. Becca is such a smart little mini me of her, Freen was right about that. And Freen. Well Freen and Becky's relationship has been nothing but confusing. Neither know where they stand with the other so they focus on Becca.

They see each other when Becky picks up Becca or when Freen drops her off. The only time they do spend time together is at Becca related events, but the time they do spend together is everything they could hope for and more. They're like a little family... if only that family could be real and not fantasy.

Becca's plan to get them together is helping a lot too. She always drags her mommies together (not that either have to really be dragged). Becca will come home from a night at Becky's and casually say something to Freen along the lines of, "Mama said you looked really pretty yesterday, mommy."

She would do the same to Becky too. Both parents would blush profusely and giggle like little schoolgirls. Rebecca Sana-ree Chankimha was a little evil mastermind, but it certainly was working.

//

Becky didn't have work today and Freen and Becca were at Khun Nun's for dinner so she was alone. Becky didn't like to admit it but on these type of days, she really missed her brother. Her and Richie still haven't spoke but Lux gives Becky consistent updates on him. William has visited Richie too and has assured Becky time and time again that Richie is still on the wagon. His sobriety for the time being is secure.

Becky looks around her empty apartment as she slowly chews on the single steak she cooked herself and sighs. Her whole life, Becky lived with Richie. These last few months of separations between the two siblings was absolutely needed but nonetheless very lonely. Both siblings were a little lost without the other. Becky is still so mad. She never really allowed her anger to swallow her up whole because Richie was her lifeline in the dark times following the flee from Bangkok all those years ago.

She can feel that anger leaving her body with every smile from Freen and Becca though. Every day she shares with the love of her life and their beautiful daughter is enough for her. She's still bitter that she's missed out on so much but she's also so thankful for the time she has now. There comes a point where you have to live and let go. And sitting alone in her eerily silent apartment is enough to bring Becky to her feet and drag her towards Lux's bar.

//

Richie just started his shift just like he does everyday. He doesn't have much surprise or anything beside work in his life right now. He just works and works out. The Armstrong's siblings are the same in that respect. When Becky needs to shut down her emotions, she either spirals out of control with the partying and the women or focuses all her energy on working out and work.

Richie is the same way and that's exactly why he's focusing on his work. He can't slip again. No. He needs to show Becky that he's alright. He needs to show himself too. So he works. He lives. He survives day in and day out. It's not a glamorous life. But it's what he needs right now. Consistency. Order. And that's exactly what he has had for months until Becky comes walking through the bar door.