5 | Jay - odd path from bffs to lovers

Jay was your best friend, you've been best friends for what feels like forever. You've been through your guys' best and worst moments together.

So that means you tell each other everything, right? Little did you know that both of you guys had this one secret which could either ruin your friendship or turn it into something better. But did you have the guts to tell him your secret or did he? Didn't really seem like it for quite a while. A really long while.

And so you guys kinda ignored each other, not knowing how to tell this one little big secret of yours. You went out, met new people and developed a little crush on someone. His name was Yejun and you two really seemed to hit it off, so it seemed. You started to hang out every time you both had some spare time. You always had a good laugh with him, so you always smiled around him.

One day when you and Yejun were at your place, your doorbell rang, so you picked up the door phone to make sure you knew who you'd let into the apartment building. It was Jaeyun, you and Jay's friend. So you let him in and opened the door already. You waited and Yejun came to you, an arm around your shoulder which made you smile a little which faded really quickly as you saw that Jaeyun didn't come alone, Jay was with him.

You rolled your eyes. "No.", you just said, shook your head. To your surprise Jay was in the exact same mood as he saw the two of you. "Yeah, whatever. Jake, let's go again. It was stupid to come here anyways." He rolled his eyes too and just pulled Jake with him. Yejun chuckled: "What was that all about?" You just shook your head, "I don't know."

You smiled a little and watched him get back in your living room, as you kept standing at the door frame for a little longer.

What was this feeling? And why were you still or yet again so mad at Jay? He didn't do anything... Yes, he ignored you but so did you.
__

You slowly closed the door and went back to Yejun. With this strange yet familiar feeling in your heart you sat next to him.

"You okay? You seem a bit off." You quickly nodded your head: "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, no worries." You put on a smile and leaned towards him, he slightly grinned and was ready to kiss you, as you faster leaned back, realising what mistake you were about to make. "I can't."

"What? Why not?", he looked at you in confusion. "I thought you like me?" "Well... yes but I... I like someone else more, no, actually, I love someone else..."

"Oh...", he sighed. "It's okay... it's this Jay, isn't it?"

You nodded quickly: "Yes... I'm sorry..."

Yejun smiled at you for a very short time and got up, looking down at you: "It's okay, really. I hope he has feelings for you too..." You looked back at him, smiled a little: "I hope so too..." He nodded and then quickly left.

So, your secret was still a secret when it comes to the very person it's about... Were you going to tell him? Did you have the guts? But what if he didn't feel the same and that was his reason for ignoring you?

-next morning-
All these worries came up and you got really nervous all of a sudden. You couldn't ignore Jay or your feelings for him any longer. You must tell him! But how and when?

This rushed feeling came over you, so you quickly left your apartment and made your way to his place. "Shit, am I really going to tell him??", you asked yourself.

Your heartbeat got faster every second you got closer to his place.

What if he only wanted friendship and then if you told him, it could ruin it forever because then you wouldn't be able to make up as friends and you'd lose him for good?

Completely nervous, legs feeling like giving in every minute from now on and your heart felt like it was about to explode, as you were about to ring the bell but you stopped for a second.

You took a deep breath and then rang it.
__

"Yeah?", you heard Jay's voice which made you yet again even more nervous.

"Uhm... uh, it's me, y/n... can we please talk?" You heard nothing anymore, not for another twenty seconds which felt like an eternity.

You held your hands, trying to make you less nervous but that didn't work at all. You felt your heartbeat in every inch of your body, making these seconds impossible to endure.

Interrupting your racing thoughts and heartbeat with his voice he said: "Fine." So he let you in and a few seconds later you stood in front of him, making your heart feeling like it's gonna burst out again any time soon now.

"Hi y/n...", he said. "Uh- hi, Jay...". You looked at each other, not knowing what to say. You both kinda waited for the other one to say something, so you just continued to stare at one another, not realising both of you were blushing.

All of a sudden both of you started talking at the same time: "I'm so sorry for-" You both kinda chuckled and Jay said: "You first, I insist..."

You nodded and took a deep breath, looking around and back at him, as he was looking at you with this anticipation which made you lose your focus. "Okay, so uh... I uhm..."

You avoided his eyes and looked around again. "Well, you... I... damn, why is this so hard??" You sighed, took another deep breath and looked at him again.

"Damn it, Jay. I like you, I really do, okay? No, I mean, I don't just like you, I love you. I always have and I couldn't stand the thought of you only being my friend but I didn't know what to do, so I just ignored you..."

You closed your eyes, shook your head and looked back at him again.
__

He just looked at you which made you nervous yet again.

Shit, so you really just told him.

Your heart was beating way too fast but it also felt like it would stop completely if he wasn't going to say anything the next moments.

He shook his head: "Y/n... ignoring you felt like torture already but you ignoring me felt like someone was ripping out my heart everyday, again and again... I couldn't stand the thought of not being near you and especially not in someone else's arms... but ignoring you felt like the only option to avoid my feelings as well..."

You couldn't help but to start tearing up. "Jay..."

"Hm?", he saw your teary eyes.

"Y/n..." He chuckled but also started to get teary, made a few steps towards you and pulled you into a warm hug. "Let's never ignore each other again, okay?"

You nodded against his chest, so he continued, "And let's finally be in a relationship then, shall we?" You almost shouted: "Yes!" Then got a little quieter as he chuckled, "yes, we shall and we have to since I can't be only your friend anymore, idiot."

"Me neither, you idiot.", he caressed your hair quickly and held you closer.

"And y/n?"

"Yes?"

"I love you too."

___

Hello, if you liked this short story, please mark it with a star! I would highly appreciate your voting as it helps with the rankings of my book <3