The Farmer and the Snake (II)

The snake's body, despite of being stiff, was fully covered by smooth, shiny, gem-like scales. There were a set of dark reddish handsome patterns on the snake's back. The blackness of the snake's skin was somehow very pleasant to the eyes. What was more, on the snake's forehead, there was an interesting and elegant marking. The farmer had never seen a snake so special and gorgeous.

It must be an unusual snake. Thought the farmer. It must worth a great fortune. He looked around and made sure nobody was following him, then began grinning to himself. Now that nobody was watching him, he felt safe to behave whatever he wanted. He thought about how he had hidden a safe box away from his family and forbade his wife to touch it.

I have helped you, married you, provided you food and clad you with clothing. How can you touch my belonging? A man should have his personal belonging and the wife should not ask too much about it, for it is inappropriate for her to know. He had always said this to his wife. Each time he said so, his wife felt guilty about herself and promised him that she would never do it again. He said similar things to his children, who were all ashamed of themselves and promised that they would behave better.

That safe box was where he kept all his precious articles, such as silver coins and expensive wares. He did not have much because he was fairly poor. However he had always dreamed of becoming rich, revered and highly respected by the villagers someday. He was almost there, except that he was still poor. 

He recalled how he taught the neighbors' children and asked them to behave themselves and be good. He touched them and asked them to enjoy it. The children were happy when he was around, he believed, and he was sure they were admiring him all the time.

He thought about his father, brother and sister, who all had their own fortunes and were praised like saints. They pretended to be great ones, offered charity to poor people around but never their own families. The farmer believed that he was better than them. He could do much better and became an even more revered man.

The snake. It's special. It must worth a great fortune. It can make me rich, as long as I make it feel grateful that I have saved it. The snake will then happily dedicate itself to me. Thought the farmer. He grinned. Its skin must worth a lot of gold coins. It must have some other capabilities, such as dancing and singing. If that's the case, I can show it around and even present it to the nobles. They will pay a great deal to buy this snake, I am sure of it.

Slowly and carefully, the farmer stepped into the pit and picked up the handsome-looking black snake. He cuddled the snake, shook it gently and warmed its body up. It did not take long for the snake's stiff body to become softened. The snake slowly woke up. It flicked its forked tongue lazily and steadily motioned its long sleek body. When it was fully awake, it saw the farmer and was a bit surprised.

"Hisss," said the snake in a sibilant tone, "whos has woken me up from me winter ssslumber?"

"It's me, mister snake," announced the farmer in as kind and passionate a tone as he could master, "I, the farmer, am your savior"

"Farmer, whos told you to dissstrub me winter ssslumber?" drawled the snake.

"Ah, snake, how could you say such cold words to your savior? It was I who saved you from the harshness and coldness of winter. It was I who dug you out from the darkness of underground. It was I who warmed your body up and invigorated your life. It was I who suffered for you when I cuddled and embraced you..."

"I sssee," said the snake, who interrupted the farmer's speech. He uncoiled himself and intended to slither down. But the farmer caught him. The snake was a bit irritated. But he managed to compose himself and said in as politely a sibilant tone as he could master, "you are ssso ssso kind, farmer. Would you be evens kinder? Would you kindly put me backs, fix my hibernations den and let me sssleep in quietness and peacesss?"

"Ah, snake, I would happily do so if it really helps you. But it doesn't. You don't know what you really want. It's dark, cold and lonely down there, don't you feel it? Do you not want to go to a better place, surrounded by warmth and light? My house is over there and my wife has lit a fire..."

"Nopes. I know whats I want. I feel betters tos stay in my den and have my rests"

"Ah, snake, I know you are not as cold as you look. I know you don't just belong to a dark cold den. I know that deep down you have a warm heart and can be grateful and thankful. Do you at least agree that I have saved you and made your life better?"

"Nopes. I disssagree. I do nots think you've saved me. Now may I go backs to me den?"

However, no matter how hard the snake tried, the farmer refused to let him go. No matter how hard the farmer tried, the snake refused to behave gratefully and thankfully. In the end, the snake was the first one to tire out and on the edge of losing his patience.

"Would you kindlys put mes back to me den and let me haves this long chat next sssummer?"

"Listen, snake, I only want to help you and make your life better, so you won't have to suffer..."

"Alrights," the snake let out a long sigh and hiss, "whats do you reallys want from me? I agree to give it to you if its in me power"

"Ah, snake, I don't want much. All I want is to make your life better and never suffer again. All I want is that you give up your cold unfeeling heart, embrace the goodness in you and feel grateful and thankful to me who have saved you..."

"Alrights," the snake said wearily and dryly, "hows mays I show gratitude tos you?"

"I don't want much, dear snake. I heard that people devote themselves and offer their most precious thing when they feel thankful and obliged to one..."

Before the farmer finished, the snake suddenly reared his creamy upper-body, rose up his head, opened his mouth and exposed his sharp fangs. The farmer did not even realize what had happened when the snake struck and bit his face. The farmer cried out and immediately let go of the snake, who slithered back into his den.

"How could you do this to me, you evil, thankless serpent?! How could you bite and harm your savior? Do you not have a single bit of goodness in your heart?"  the farmer accused.

"Nopes. I just showed me gratitude to yous, dear farmer. You're ssso ssso kind to me, demolishs me den for me, wokes me up from me ssslumber, lecturesss me about gratitude. I feel so obliged to you that I decided to gift you me mosts precious thing - my venom!"

Upon hearing the snake's words, the farmer's face turned completely pale. "You...how could you..." he was freaked out. His voice became muffled and he faltered.

"OOOOOH!" The farmer yelled and cried loudly. He knew he was going to die, so he decided to give it all. His voice was so loud that the whole mountain and village could hear him.

"OOOH! How stupid I was! How stupid I was to warm a serpent up in a cold winter day. How stupid I was to save a serpent, who has not a single touch of goodness in his heart and is not hesitant to kill his own savior! Remember, my friends, snakes are all evil and hopeless. They'd rather spend their life in the darkness and coldness, than embracing warmth and light! Remember, my good faithful folks, never help a snake, for your kindness to evil will only be met by BETRAYAL!"

The snake was completely dumbfounded. He never thought that farmer could do this to him and - what was worse - his own species. 

"What on earths? What did yous just sssay? Thisss is between yous and mes and donts you dares...donts you dares demeans mes own species!"

However it was too late, the farmer died. Of course the villagers, who were all blind to the farmer's 'kindness' and 'goodness', believed in the farmer instead of the snake.

The farmer had the last laugh. 

Final Note: Now you know how the snakes got their terrible reputation? Now you know why people hate snakes? Now you know why some people have Ophidiophobia? Sometimes it's not just children's stories, but propaganda, manipulation and abuse.