One ~ Elizabeth

I knew she had arrived by the deep red hair that peaked through the small classroom window. 

She always wore a smile, the wrinkles around her lips becoming more prominent with age. 

Like a porcelain doll that's been sitting in the attic for over a decade, beaten and bruised. Yet, still holding the same beauty that she'd been created with.

I'm waiting for her to enter the room, knowing she's convincing the receptionist for a lolly. 

The routine was always the same, the deep red hair, the small talk between her and the receptionist, and then a lolly on the way out the door. 

She finally opens the door, dawning the biggest smile on her face, her wrinkles reaching the corners of her eyes. 

She opened her arms wide as I ran into them. Balancing me up on her hip, she unwrapped the treat on the way to the car.

The parking lot doesn't have many vehicles at this time of the day, but the red 1998 Ford Explorer stands out the same as it would in a filled lot. 

We didn't have much to our names, but we have enough to make us happy. She graces me with a forehead kiss before buckling me into my car seat, and shuts the door. 

The sun's heat through the windows makes my skin warm as I start to drift asleep on the drive home.

Nana's boyfriend always gives me the biggest hugs when I get home. He's sitting in his recliner, arms above his head with his eyes trained on the door. 

Bursting through it, I ran to him, jumping on top of his beer belly. 

The recliner caves in from the amount of time he's spent in it and there are stains on the arms and back from some of my wild adventures.

"How was your day, little one?" He asks, turning me around to sit on his lap.

"We learned about dinosaur bones!" I squeal.

 He chuckles, leaning over to reach into the table beside him. I watch as he grabs my Cinderella brush. 

I love when he brushes my hair, he's gentle and always rewards me with candy afterwards. 

Once he's done, I turn around and frown, noticing everything and everyone around me starts to fade away...

As things came back into focus, the sunset poured through the kitchen, illuminating it in shades of orange. 

I'm sitting at the dining room table, in the golden sundress that Nana picked out for me last week. The table is set up by the back door and takes up the majority of the tiny kitchen. 

It's chestnut brown with black swirls going in all directions, with minimal dents.

Suddenly, Nana's being pushed in a wheelchair by Uncle Bobby and Uncle Derik in a hurry. Everyone is talking at once, but I don't understand what they are saying. 

I'm just learning the meaning of full sentences and how to form conversations, with the little knowledge I've acquired in my five years of living.

 I want to run into her arms and make everything better, even if I don't understand what's going on. I know when I give her a hug that she smiles, and you wouldn't smile if you weren't happy. 

A rapid piercing sound started to make its way through the house, I knew from experience that it can only mean one thing. 

The fire alarm started going off as they rushed her out the door. Everything and everyone around me is fading away again.