Starkville, Mississippi

Safri's eyes burned and watered uncontrollably for mere moments but once it passed, she found that she could see everything. It worked! Tears streamed down the young princess's face when she realized she had made it; she'd finally reached the Lesserworld.

Safri first took the time to appreciate its beauty, the sun, trees, grass, the life. The feel of the sun was unfathomable, the air wasn't stale, nor did it smell of death and the animals did not resemble rotting corpses. Safri finally felt free, truly free. Like a child seeing the world for the first time Safri ran through the grass and climbed the trees, twirling and dancing in the sunlight. After tiring herself out Safri took a moment to read her mother's note then as instructed took a small sip from the bottle accompanying it. Safri immediately noticed that her hands now had a beautiful sun kissed glow, taking her mother's hand mirror from her bag she smiled at the sight of herself. Gone were the pointed ears, her messy bob instead of white was now dark brown. Closing her mirror, she gathered her sack which she found was filled with her mother's jewels and walked slowly along the path. Stopping along the way to smell flowers Safri stumbled upon a house where Jeremiah waited with a questioning look. Per usual he said nothing before putting his hand on the small of her back and pushing her toward the house. Safri spun to strike but he caught her hand giving her a hard stare while pulling her along.

"I was not expecting two of you" Ms. Rose gasped. Rushing outside, the elder woman introduced them and promptly apologized for Jeremiah's lack of conversation. After Safri introduced herself as a citizen of the Zelarian kingdom she was shown inside and given a change of clothes from Rose until she could get her own. Like Aymon, Rose and Jeremiah began teaching her the basics of living in the Lesserworld, amazed that she absorbed everything quickly though driving was a bit of a struggle. The time breezed by and on her last night she sat once again reading over the book Rose had given her as a guide. Since Rose was unprepared for Safri she needed a few extra days to ensure Safri would have everything she needed, it also took time to sell the things Safri had bought along and establish an account for her. The Phrost princess panicked when she noticed the color fading from her fingertips and palms spreading quickly, her hair already returned to its natural color. Jumping up she searched for the sack her mother had given her containing the potion but was halted by a gasp in her doorway. Rose had come to give her the last of her paperwork and account information and panicked Safri snatched it from the woman's hands. Grabbing the duffel bag she'd prepacked containing clothes, her mother's sack and the envelope with her identification in it she leapt from her room window sprinting away and not stopping until it felt as though her lungs would collapse. For once Safri was thankful for the cover the night shadows provided as she slipped on a pair of shoes and a hat to cover her ears before continuing on foot. Safri felt a strong pull as she hiked through the forest, it beckoned her, giving her no choice as she mindlessly obeyed. After hours of walking, she checked into a small motel thankful that the card given to her still worked and fell onto the bed basking in the contentment that surrounded her. No longer was she Princess Safri Avazii, damned to reign over darkness, for now she was satisfied with being 21-year-old Miya Stevens.

After a few days' rest, well at least to her, Safri continued her journey with no destination until she found it. Since she'd left the car, Safri opted for her first bus ride, enjoying not only it but the conversation along the way. What was supposed to be a long ride since the first thing she wanted to see were the beaches was abruptly cut short when they stopped in a small town for more passengers. Safri gathered her belongings and found a hotel, deciding to stay. Somehow, she knew that this was exactly where she needed to be, that Starkville, Mississippi was home.

******

Aymon woke refreshed from his uninterrupted sleep. After showering and changing clothes he realized that he had been in the Lesserworld a little over a month and not spoken to his mother like he had promised. Going to the bathroom Aymon bit his finger hard enough to draw blood and pressed that finger to the mirror.

"Me'a en' i' Arvandor waana imya i' palurin ar' anna a' amin i' er amin irma Queen Takiia Sharian". Removing his finger, the blood began to spread forming a large glowing circle and once the light dimmed and went out, he was staring into his own bedroom.

"I do believe that is my room" Aymon chuckled. Witnessing his mother sitting on his bed holding a pillow to her chest.

"Aymon! Where the hell have you been!" his mother screamed, though relief was written all over her face. Queen Takiia took the first few moments of their conversation to scold the youngest of her sons who took it in stride, knowing he should have reached out sooner. After being thoroughly reprimanded Aymon told his mother about his time with the gatekeepers, his plans to remain in Starkville and take a creative writing course at the local college.

"Your father has been deeply troubled," Takiia revealed in a hushed tone. King Mytho spent the majority of his time in his study and meeting with the Woodland king Corthos, leaving Ryo acting as king but it was not going well. They spoke a while longer and after promising to be mindful of the time difference and to check in more often his mother disappeared from his sight. The summoning circle vanished and Aymon noticed that his ears had slightly elongated, reminding him that he needed to find the warlock Nabeh. Once again Aymon pricked his finger.

"Light of the heavens pass over the world and present to me the one I desire, the warlock Nabeh Sorciere" he whispered, focusing on his name since he'd never met the man. The blood spread and the light dimmed but Aymon was staring into nothingness with confusion etched into his face.

"From what kingdom do you come?" a surprisingly young but mellow tone asked from within the darkness.

"Are you Nabeh?"

"Are you going to answer my question?" the voice echoed with a hint of both amusement and irritation.

"I am Prince Aymon Sharian, from the kingdom of Zelaria" he eventually announced. Aymon was surprised when the covering was hastily removed revealing a man that appeared no older than he did.

"The rumors are true, Elee' en Arvandor"