1. Stumblin' In

We were ravaged by wars, those secret conflicts in our hearts,
Our emotions ruined, scarred by battles fought. Imaginary?
We think not.

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

Somewhere Outside The Wall Of The City

"Come on Delta. It's just one kiss," Eero jokingly teased. "It's the only way I can be sure you're serious."

"Eero, how can getting a kiss show you how serious I am. I've met you here time and again and yet you still can't trust me?"

"I could be killed for just standing here with you Delta. Have you even considered how dangerous it is for me?"

"Eero, I'm putting myself in danger too. Just being here with you, to be realistic! I've broken numerous laws just to contact you not knowing if you'd even show up or, turn me in for your own benefit for gods sake."

"I'll give you that, but I'm the one with a bounty on my head Delta, and you'll have one too if you go through with this crazy idea. Why can't you just be happy. Do what you're told and let life play out as it will? Why do you want to become a fugitive and live on the run the rest of your life? You know, every year you aren't caught the price on your head goes up."

"Of course I know that Eero! But I'm not happy and I don't want to just do as I'm told. There has to be something better and I want to find it. Besides, I have a feeling my bounty will be high at the onset."

Eero shrugged. "There is nothing better out here Delta," he informed her but failed to recognize the last statement she made as important.

──────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹──────

[Delta]

"Fine," I huffed. "I'll prove my sincerity." I closed my eyes, puckered my lips, and our lives were changed forever. So I guess it's fair to say it all started with a kiss.

It was that kiss.

That ridiculous request he made for a simple kiss.

Did he think I wouldn't do it? I was desperate at that point. But when his lips settled over mine a flame was lit inside the deepest parts of my body.

It sealed our fates. Set us free.

Forever? Well that remains to be seen.

For now, we are out of that gilded cage that has kept us trapped our entire lives. And that feels really good.

Like Eero's lips against mine.

My mind wanted to reject the fire he stoked but my body refused. And to prove that, my body melted into his arms as his tongue played over my teeth and without regard to my feelings my mouth opened to his and a low moan escaped me as his hands wound through my hair capturing me against his body. His clothing was warm and smelled of the sun and outdoors.

When he pulled away from my lips the chill left behind was notable. I opened my eyes and he was staring down at me, his golden brown gaze was surprised.

To say he wasn't expecting my heated response was apparent in that look. He placed his work roughened hands on either side of my face. I was lost in that questioning gaze but managed to find a slight smile even if it felt somewhat sarcastic.

He didn't notice and though his voice sounded reluctant he agreed to get me out of there. I don't know if he harbored any ideas about us. He didn't say. He just agreed to the date and time I had prearranged.

In one week's time, he would meet me at the location I had picked. What he did not know was, I wouldn't be alone.
I had conveniently left that detail out of the mix. He would have never agreed otherwise.

As I watched him walk off into the distance, I shrugged my backpack on and turned to make my way back to the walled city that I would soon leave in my past, and bring the good news to the others who had waited for this day and hour. It couldn't happen soon enough.

I hoped he might somehow forgive my deception even though I knew he wouldn't. My conscience was cold, considering he might completely refuse once he found out. It was a chance I had to take. There was too much at stake if he backed out. He was truly our only hope.