22. Happy Birthday Angel

May 4th 

Dear Journal,

Today is my mother's birthday, and I am so excited to be home to celebrate with her. Jermaine is on tour, and I am home from school. Being smart and getting into college at the age of 17 is definitely a different experience. I am not really legal to do anything, and I am too much of a nerd to even make friends.

I met this beautiful girl named Sydney at school, but before I could tell her how I felt, my roommate Chris got to her first. I am looking into some off campus housing because I can't stand their boo loving in my room. Grant it. I shared it with him, but still.

I waited too late to say something and missed a chance. It's lonely at school, and I tell Mother this all the time. Luckily, I finished the semester early, and I am back home. The only downside is Joseph saying how I could stop my loneliness if I get back to music.

The music industry doesn't care about me or my loneliness. They just want money like I reminded Joseph about. Besides, at least I can go get a malt shake at the local diner if I want to. Grant it. I still get a few paparazzi snapping pictures of me. But it's because they want dirt on my brother. If they see me without my brother or not willing to talk, they leave me alone.

I do miss hanging out with 'Maine, though. We used to be so close before his song I wrote for him. Carousel did so well. Joseph is so hard on me about music because I am a songwriter at his label, and every song I write for him goes gold or platinum. He thinks I am wasting a talent that God gave me.

Well, ain't that something? He hasn't been to church since I was seven. Regardless, I told Mother I would be good and not cause any friction with my father today. No matter how hard he tries to push my buttons. I will show self-control or at least walk away.

Present Day

Sariah's Point of View:

Today is the day among a set of days that cause me pain. Today is my birthday, and I will be thirty-one years old, and none of my family is here to see it. On my birthdays in the past, my mama used to make her infamous birthday breakfast.

My daddy would give me my present early because he had to work but was always back in time for cake. Samir would give me so many birthday punches. My arm would be sore all morning. I miss them so much and grieving them is hard every day now that I have started the actual process.

"Good morning, Angel, Happy Birthday." Michael says, entering the room with a breakfast tray. My eyes get misty to know his timing was perfect.

"Why the sad face, baby?" He asked me, kissing my cheek.

"I was thinking about my mother's breakfast and lo and behold, here you come right on time. I love you so much, Michael." I say to him, and each time, my heart thumps a little harder as he smiles just a little brighter.

"I love you too, Sariah. I am happy I could bring you some joy. But look, I have plans for you today, okay? But I can't take all of your time as Nayelli likes to say. So, eat breakfast and get dressed she has left a note here for you, and she will be here to spend the day with you. But tonight, oh tonight, Angel, you are all mine. I can't wait to show you all that I have plan for you. I want you to know that you are a beautiful soul, and I want to thank you for bringing purpose, love, and happiness back into my life. Happy birthday, baby." He says to me, kissing my lips.

"Thank you, baby. You guys really didn't have to do anything, but I appreciate it. You're welcome but thank you for being the key to me being a better person, dealing with my trauma so patiently, and loving me differently than I ever been loved. Thank you for being the heart of the home I have been longing for but running away from." I say kissing him back. Things got a little heated momentarily before he broke off the kiss.