chapter five

- WANT A SUGAR CUBE? -

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

"CASHMERE AND GLOSS. Brother and sister, District One." In the District Twelve living quarters, Haymitch stood beside a television screen and explained each pair of tributes for this year's games to Katniss and Peeta.

"They won back to back games, Capitol favorites, lots of sponsors. They will be lethal." He finished off the first introduction before switching the screen to District Two. "And the other half of the Career Pack, Brutus and Enobaria."

Katniss' brows turned down as she watched the two with their hands held high, both cheering along with the adoring crowd.

"What's with her teeth?" She inquired.

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip peoples throats out." Haymitch spoke nonchalantly, something so odd coming from his mouth sounded like a normal everyday topic of conversation.

"She's committed, I'll give her that." Peeta tilted his head as he settled more comfortably in his seat after seeing the Careers, supposedly the deadliest of any tribute.

Haymitch changed the screen to District Three's tributes and two middle-aged individuals were displayed across it. "Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters, but brilliant... and weird, real tech savvy. He won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once."

Peeta pursed his lips, impressed at his words. He furrowed his brows though as Haymitch changed the screen to two people who looked more frightened of the games than Haymitch was of sobriety.

"The Morphlings, masters of camouflage. Basically won there games by hiding until everyone else was dead. Self-medicating ever since, which I applaud... Not a threat."

Once the screen changed again, Katniss recognized the man behind it simply because everyone knew who he was.

"Finnick Odair, right?"

"Yes. He won his games at fourteen, youngest ever. Extremely humble." Haymitch explained, holding back a chuckle at his untruthful remarks.

"You're kidding." Katniss called his bluff and looked at the man on the screen in disbelief.

"Yes, I'm kidding. He's a peacock, a total preener. But he's The Capitol Darling, they love him here. Charming, smart, and very skilled in combat, especially in water." Haymitch said as he walked back and forth in front of the screen all the while Katniss was trying to figure out what the big deal was with this man to make him so popular.

"What about weaknesses?" Peeta questioned leaning forward and resting his forearms against his knees.

"He may look like a heartless play boy but he's got two extremely problematic weaknesses." Haymitch said as he switched the screen again, presenting an older woman stood beside a girl with red hair who looked to be in distraught, sobbing profusely.

"First, Mags. She volunteered for Annie, a very good friend of his. Mags was his mentor and basically raised him, so if he's trying to protect her in any way, it exposes him."

"A guy like that has to know she's not gonna make it. I bet when it really comes down to it, he won't protect her." Katniss stated.