Chapter 1: Encounter

Same old thing, day after day... what a bore. This world is a rotten mess...

The Shinigami Realm is where Shinigami live and dwell throughout their existence. It is connected by a portal through which Shinigami alone can travel. The world where Shinigami resides exists in a plane above the Human World, inaccessible and unseen through conventional methods.

In the Shinigami Realm, a Shinigami was sitting on a small hill, eating an apple. Right then, another Shinigami called out to him and said, "Hey Ryuk, why don't you play Death Roulette with us?" Ryuk, the Shinigami on the small hill, responded, "Death Roulette is as boring as ever; it is only based on luck." Ryuk then began walking towards the portal used to travel to the Human World. At that moment, another Shinigami asked, "Where are you heading off to, Ryuk?" Ryuk answered, "I dropped my Death Note in the Human World." Then, another Shinigami exclaimed, "Oh Ryuk, you screwed up big time, man." After that conversation, Ryuk was seen going through the portal.

In the Human World, we see L Lawliet, a top student in his country, studying at Daikoku Private Academy. With the appearance of a young man with spiky black hair, he was just Anti-Social in a sense, he was seen taking his final year exam. After finishing it in 20 minutes, he pondered how criminals get away with no punishments. His father was the chief of the NPA, a police officer who initially led the Japanese task force, and his mother died due to a heart attack. He now lives with his sister and his father, but his father rarely comes home. As he contemplated equality throughout the Human World

He noticed a note or a book dropping from the building roof, and he thought to himself, "If that much force was behind that notebook, it was probably dropped from the sky." As school ended, he discovered the notebook covered in black with the title "Death Note." 

He thought, "This was not a student's notebook because if it was, it should've had the student's name and class on the title," confirming his suspicion that the notebook fell from the sky. Upon opening the notebook to the first page, he saw: 

                                                                                    How to use it

The whose name is written in this note shall die. 

This will not take effect unless the writer has the person's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected. 

If the cause of death is written within the next 40 seconds of writing the person's name, it will happen. If the cause of death is not specified, the person will die of a heart attack.

 After writing the cause of death, details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

                                                As he laid eyes on the mysterious notebook, L couldn't help but mutter to himself, "It's all in English, hmm? Either I've stumbled upon a riveting novel or the world's weirdest grocery list."

With a sly grin, he declared, "The human whose name is written in this note shall die. Hmm, I'd usually burn it, but today, I'm feeling as generous." and casually strolled back to his abode. Little did he know that fate had a strange surprise waiting for him.

Upon entering his home, L's sister greeted him with the usual warmth, "I made dinner for you, brother." To which L, with a deadpan expression, replied, "I'm not hungry, but thank you," as he ascended the stairs to change into his "I solve puzzles before bedtime" pajamas.

In the sanctuary of his room, L pondered the bizarre events of the day. Unfazed, he decided to tackle the Death Note mystery by doing what any sensible person would do—chores. Suddenly, a wild creature appeared behind him, causing L to jump in shock.