02. Earth

‧₊˚✩彡

‧₊˚✩彡

An irritating, high pitched ringing played in my ears. I slowly opened my eyes, adjusting to the darkness. When I finally came back to my senses, I desperately clicked at my belt, trying to take it off.

After it finally released, I jumped out of my seat. As soon as I got up though, my vision started to blur, and my head started pounding. I hissed in pain, bringing a hand up to my head. I brought it back down, staring at the deep red covering my fingertips.

I grimaced, remembering Miso and the researcher. I looked around in the darkness, finally spotting the man still in his seat. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw that the man had wrapped his body around Miso, protecting him from the crash.

After steadying myself, I walked over to them. I shook the researcher awake, grabbing his shoulders lightly. "Please, wake up," I mumbled.

At the sound of my voice, Miso mewled, crawling out from the researcher's arms with ease. I got on my knees, picking him up and hugging the creature.

"Miso," I smiled softly, petting him on his head as I inspected him for injuries. Fortunately, Miso seemed fine and energetic as per usual as he crawled around the spaceship when I placed him onto the floor.

I moved to the researcher who was still passed out in his seat. I placed my fingers on his wrist, feeling relieved when I felt a pulse.

My eyes widened when he started to shuffle in his seat, waking up just a few moments later. He looked around the room frantically until he eventually calmed down, his eyes lingering on my head.

"You're bleeding," he said, urgently removing his belt.

I watched in astonishment as he got up with ease, seemingly unharmed by the impact. He held my head with his hands, examining the wound.

I had a chance to look at him closely for the first time in the past few hours we had been stuck together. His eyebrows furrowed as his hazel eyes inspected my injury with a concerned gaze. His lips pursed as he ripped up a piece of his shirt, wrapping it around my head.

"It's nothing too serious, we just have to stop the bleeding," he assured me.

I felt at ease after hearing his words, and I nodded my head slowly. When I realized how close we were to each other, my eyes widened. I glanced aside, focusing intently on Miso, before clearing my throat and moving away from the researcher.

"Earth," I said quietly, standing up and walking towards the windows covered with soil. "We are incredibly lucky to have survived."

"Indeed," the researcher replied. "Earth is also the best planet we could have landed on in this system."

We were definitely fortunate to have landed on Earth considering how it had a reputation for its habitability. However, as I turned around and glanced at the state of the Arachne, I felt quite the opposite. Everything on Earth, including whatever available technology scattered around the abandoned planet, was almost ancient. I doubted how many materials we could actually gather that would effectively fix the ship.