🦋chapter 7🦋

#3rd person

The afternoon sun slanted through the tall, arched windows of the history classroom, casting a golden hue on the rows of aged wooden desks. Dust motes danced like tiny spirits above the students' heads, visible only in the path of the light. At the front of the room, the chalkboard bore the remnants of erased equations, a ghostly testament to the previous period's algebra class.

"Alright, everyone," Mrs. Hadley's voice sliced through the murmur of adolescent conversations, her hands clasped together as if in quiet prayer for order. "I'm assigning partners for the upcoming project on ancient civilizations."

Amela Diyan sat rigidly in her seat, her long brown locks cascading over her shoulders. She felt the familiar clutch of anxiety in her stomach, a silent whisper of dread at what was to come. Her gaze drifted over the materials scattered across her desk: the textbook lying open to a page on Mesopotamia, a notebook half-filled with meticulous notes, and a constellation of colorful pens and highlighters.

"Amela, you'll be working with Zade Edris." Mrs. Hadley's words hung in the air, heavy with an unspoken challenge.

There was a soft rustling as Zade pushed his chair back and sauntered over, every inch the embodiment of privileged indifference. His grey eyes, usually sharp and assessing, held a flicker of something unreadable as he approached Amela's desk.

"Looks like we're stuck with each other," he said dryly, his voice betraying no particular emotion.

"Stuck" was one word for it, Amela thought. She gave a small nod, her heart hammering against her ribs. She could feel the eyes of the class on them, the weight of expectation pressing down. But she couldn't afford to show weakness, not here, not in front of Zade.

"Let's just get this over with," she replied, her tone even but her fingers tightening around her pen.

The classroom was a patchwork of academic life, from the posters of historic landmarks that adorned the walls to the shelves lined with troves of books—each spine a slice of knowledge waiting to be devoured. The air held the scent of chalk dust and aged paper, mixed with the faint fragrance of floor polish from the halls outside.

"Fine by me," Zade responded, pulling up a chair beside her. He leaned back, his posture relaxed yet somehow still commanding, as though the world bent subtly around him.

Together they turned their attention to the task at hand, the project outline lying between them like a bridge over troubled waters. It was a tentative first step, an unspoken agreement to put aside whatever misgivings they had and focus on the shared goal before them.

As they started to divide up the workload, Amela caught herself stealing glances at Zade, wondering what lay beneath his cool exterior. She pictured him on the football field, commanding his teammates with ease—a different kind of battlefield, but a battlefield nonetheless.

"Mesopotamia, huh?" Zade murmured, flipping through the textbook. "The cradle of civilization..."

"Where writing first began," Amela added softly, feeling a spark of kinship amidst the tension.

"Right," he acknowledged with a subtle lift of his brow, surprised at her contribution. "Guess we've got our work cut out for us then."

For a brief moment, their defenses seemed to lower, two students connected by the threads of history and the task ahead. And within the confines of that classroom, laden with the promise of knowledge and discovery, Amela dared to hope that perhaps this project could be more than just another school assignment.

................................................................................................................................................................