The Morning When It's Clear

Author's Note: This fic is for Ghost_Rin on ao3, based off a couple dreams we had about the third season. Do I think this will happen? I have no idea, but we DO have a looooot of theories about what might happen in the third season, so. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :) Enjoy! :D

This is for the square "Planet: Pabu" on the Bad Batch Bingo. :P

~ Amina Gila

Hunter thought finding Omega would be the end of fighting. That they could finally choose to live the lives they've wanted for so long. Until the Empire shows up on Pabu, ending their short stay, and something surfaces that will change their lives forever.

"I'll hold them off," Hunter calls over his shoulder. The Marauder is landed amidst a tree grove on the far side of the island. It was supposed to be the last time they ever flew it. Crosshair was recovering, and Omega didn't want to fight anymore. She'd seen a lot, and she might've wanted to help. She wanted to help, but they'd all been through so much, and they don't have the strength to do it anymore.

They were terrified of losing someone else.

Coming back to Pabu afterwards hadn't been the same. They might be together, but Hunter still feels completely empty.

Hunter thought they'd have time. That they could just... live for once, finally, but two weeks later, the Empire showed up.

Hunter has no idea how they knew to come here. It doesn't make sense to him.

Echo was getting whoever out that he could – there's too many, and he didn't want to leave the civilians behind. Hunter feels bad about it, but he wants to get his family safe. That's more important than anything – he can't lose anyone else.

"Hunter!" Omega yells in protest, jerking forwards, firing her bow at their pursuers a few more times.

"Go!" Hunter yells back. He knows what this could mean. He knows he could die here, but if she's okay, if Wrecker's okay, it doesn't matter.

He's not afraid to die.

(At least that way, everything would finally, finally stop hurting.)

He glances over his shoulder to see Crosshair pulling Omega back, to see her wide-eyed panicked expression. Wrecker is firring back still, covering for the other two as they fall back into the trees.

They kept the Marauder out of sight, meant to be put down forever. They weren't going to come back. They hoped they'd never have to, that... they could stay, and Hunter has no idea where they'll go, either, but getting out of here is what matters now.

Of all of them, Wrecker is the most reluctant to leave, and Hunter tries not to think about what him being left behind (left to die) could do to Wrecker. They've only ever had each other throughout this entire... everything.

(It hurts that Crosshair is willing to leave without looking back, but he isn't surprised.)

He dodges as a blaster shot nearly takes off his head.

He keeps seeing someone in black armor. Judging from the heavy electric field around him, Hunter suspects he's a cyborg. Doesn't have time to focus on that, though, until he comes forwards.

"I'll handle him," he says to the others – his voice is mechanicalized. The others lower their blasters and step back. They're going to circle around to go after Wrecker and Omega and – and Crosshair, and Echo if he's made it back by now. He can't let that happen.

It's fast. The fighting blurs together, but the figure shoots his blaster out of his hands, and Hunter pulls his knife, jumping him. He knows it's reckless. Dangerous. But really, he doesn't have much choice.