20. To the Other Side

Chapter 20: To the Other Side

Cady.

She was decided to get her revenge on Regina, it wasn't like she was having any second thoughts, but still... it didn't change how hurt she felt. She just needed a little time to regroup, lick her wounds, and she'd be ready to get back out there.

It did feel a bit pathetic, though, after all she had done and how far she'd come climbing the social ladder, that she was now here, in a bathroom stall during lunchtime to essentially hide from everyone and dwell in her loneliness, feeling as much of a loser as she had the first day of school.

Taking a deep breath in an attempt to give herself confidence, she grabbed the backpack she'd dropped on the floor and pulled out the item she had brought.

Her fingers trailed the pink cover of the Burn Book, carefully, as if she expected it to actually burn her. Lathered in glitter and lipstick, it looked so nice from the outside for something that was so vicious on the inside.

Just like the ones who wrote it, she thought spitefully.

It had been much easier to get it than she had expected. All she had to do was visit Regina's house while she was at the mall, with the pretext of wanting to ask Regina's mom for advice. Mrs. George was so excited about it that it made Cady feel a little bad.

While they talked about the hardships of teenage love and Mrs. George went on and on about some High School crush from thirty years ago, Cady had excused herself to the bathroom. Then all she had to do was make a detour to Regina's room to grab the book. So easy!

And now she had it, here in the school's restrooms, pondering what exactly would be the best way to use this bomb.

Some sudden, insistent knocking on the stall's door made her jump.

"You've been in there a very long time," someone who sounded like a surprisingly good imitation of Miss Flemming said. "You are either doing drugs or very constipated from using drugs!"

Cady quickly put the book back in her bag and hurried to open the door, worried she would get in trouble.

"No! I wasn't-"

She cut herself short when she saw two students in front of her, and no teachers. One was a tall boy who didn't seem to be able to hold back his laughter, and the other was a girl wearing a highly customized jean jacket and dark lipstick, grinning at her.

"Hey. Cady, right? I'm Janis."

"And je m'appelle Sasha Fierce," the boy claimed, pointing at himself in a gesture full of flair.

"This is Damian. He's almost too gay to function."

"Uhm, hi." The blonde tried to be polite, but couldn't help sounding a little curt. She'd learn to distrust everyone's intentions, especially if they appeared friendly at first.

"You may be wondering why we are accosting you," Janis said.

"As Junior Co-chair of the Students' Activities Committee,'' Damian supplied, "accompanied by his designated art freak, it is my duty to inform you of the new campaign that's started. For suicide-awareness."

"Oh... I hadn't heard of it," Cady murmured.

"It's pretty new," Damian continued. "Do you know Alana Beck? She started it. Martha Dunnstock is the VP, we are but humble ambassadors...and we would like for you to join us."

"Me?" Cady frowned. "Why?"

"Look... everyone knows what happened with you and Regina," Janis intervened. "We wanted to check if you were okay... I know way too well what it's like to be her friend one second and thrown away like trash the next. It sucks."