Introduction

Griffith, Thillia

Welcome back to Demigods of the Death Gate, my Percy Jackson and Death Gate Cycle crossover fanfiction! As with last time, this introduction exists for the benefit of context, as well as introducing the numerous changes I have made for the sake of this fanfiction.

If you're here without having read the first book in this series, you're insane. Go read the first one. It's called "Dry" and it provides more context. If you choose to continue without reading the first book you probably need to be put in an asylum or something.

The Death Gate Cycle

A seven-part fantasy series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, the Death Gate Cycle takes place in a world that was sundered by powerful sorcerer's into four realms: Sky, Fire, Stone and Water. These sorcerers vanished soon after. The series follows Haplo and his faithful dog as they cross the Death Gate into each realm, searching for these lost sorcerers and paving the way for his own people to conquer.

Pyran

The Realm of Fire is very different from Arianus, the Realm of Sky. Endless sunlight and constant rain have changed the entire realm into an enormous jungle, where the humans and elves live their lives in the trees and only the dwarves dwell close to the ground. Fighting is plentiful here as well, with the elves selling magical weapons to the warring humans at a massive profit. But even under threat of destruction from the mythical creatures called the tytans, centuries of dissent and hatred will not heal easily.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

A five-book series written by Rick Riordan, Percy Jackson and the Olympians follows twelve-year-old Percy as he struggles with the reality of being a halfblood demigod child of a Greek god and a mortal.

Dry (Demigods of the Death Gate, Book #1)

The first book in my fanfic series that follows Perseus as he falls from the top of Arianus all the way to the bottom, and then goes right back up to kill his abusive adopted father. On the way he meets assassin Hugh the Hand, his adopted father's true son Bane, Bane's chamberlain (or so he seems) Alfred Montbank, a rebellious dwarf called Limbeck, and a seemingly normal human man named Haplo. And also a dog. Perseus succeeds in teaming up with Bane to kill their shared hated parent, but at the cost of Hugh the Hand's—and later Bane and Iridal's (Perseus' adopted mother and the only bright spot in his childhood)—lives. (As you should remember, Iridal and Bane survived, but Perseus doesn't know that). Perseus only escapes because Haplo uses strange abilities to transport himself, Perseus, and Limbeck out of the High Realm.

If you thought I made a lot of changes in Dry for Dragon Wing, you're in for a wild ride in Defy. Book 2 takes place in the same setting as Elven Star, the second book in the Death Gate Cycle. But I've taken many, many liberties with the plot, due to my own ideas and issues I had with the original plot of Elven Star.

The worldbuilding in Elven Star is one of the coolest in the series, and that is a high bar to climb, competing with the floating islands of Arianus, the intricate underground of Abbarach, the vast ocean world that is Chelestra or the Labyrinth itself. Pyran is a massive Dyson Sphere, with the four suns in the center and the surface of the 'planet' on the inside, facing the sun. There is no day/night cycle, and heavy rain patterns coupled with the constant sunlight made the entire planet a jungle. I tried my best to keep the worldbuilding consistent with the source material, although there are no doubt some mistakes or inconsistencies that I missed.

Yes, Annabeth is here in Defy as the main character. Like Percy/Perseus, she is post-canon age in the series.

Any content warnings should be in the tags, unless this is Wattpad, in which case: violence, killing, implied/referenced trauma, implied/referenced abuse, mild suggestive content. (Also yes, the introduction is only going to get longer with each work I add. I take much pleasure in writing summaries and context)

I hope you enjoy this story!