Chapter One

Mike felt like his heart was in his throat, knocking, pounding, and screaming like a person begging for refuge in one of those cheesy 80s horror movies, only for the one inside to arrive just too late to save them. To find that an innocent person has already been sliced and bloodied right on the front doorstep must be a grueling sight. And to think it was all their fault for simply not moving quick enough? To be blamed by their own mind for simply being asleep or, how most of anyone would react, skeptical, would be gut-wrenching.

          Right now he felt like the person behind the door. Like no matter how fast he ran, it would never be sufficient. He was running out of hope, and he felt all of his blood run cold as he watched Abby follow the yellow chicken behind the stage.

          Mike slammed at the vent-gate like his heart was slamming at him, and it opened, but all of what would be clanging of the metal against the cold ground was drowned out by a cheery retro song, performed by the animatronics Freddy and Bonnie on stage. If you were to walk in fresh now with no forewarning, everything would seem okay, albeit a bit odd in general, with the whole.. preforming though the place is abandoned, deal. But no one never suspect that a young girl's life was being threatened. Not in the slightest.

          Mike's breath hitched in his throat as he spilled some water out from some leftover cleaning buckets, leading it to swish and pool beneath the robot's feet. Pulling out the taser-gun that Vanessa had lent to him, he fired it into the puddle, deactivating both of the animatronics in sparks and pops as they both collapsed to the ground of the stage in a heavy thud.

          The brown bear and blue bunny were now no longer a threat. Mike didn't know how long that would last, though. He ran for what felt like ages, all he could hear being the faint playing of continued music in the background, and himself. The pounding of his heart, his own breathing, his own footsteps? They all felt unjustified. He was the one who deserved to be facing death right now; not Abby. He had given her up, and he knew that if anything happened to her, it was all his fault.

          Though the guilt had mostly been wiped away by terror when he awoke to find blades about to slash into his face, it was back in full force now that he was no longer in that deadly situation.

          He had awoken in a police outpost, where Vanessa had patched up some wounds and explained a whole load of things that only served more questions into Mike's racing mind. She had told him about her father. The man who took Garrett. The man who killed the children. He wasn't sure how to feel about Vanessa any longer, though a brush of her hand had still left that strange sensation it always had before.

          Mike left from that location as soon as possible, because he knew Abby would be here at Freddy's.

          In which she was. And if she died now, it'd be the place where she was trapped aswell. He ran, and he ran, and he ran, until, when he finally reached her, the world seemed to pause.

          He had found her. But he couldn't see her. Chica stood over a doll looking scrap project, pale and puppet like with red rosy cheeks, brown hair, and a picnic hat. Mike remembered having seen it; it was the one that Vanessa had demonstrated what 'springlocks' were. That they were dangerous. It was shut now, but out penetrated the song of muffled cries.   

          Blurry-minded, Mike quickly fired the stun gun at Chica, causing the big yellow chicken to fall to the floor like a plank of wood, blue electricity briefly crackling from her sunshine colored exterior shell as her eyes unfocused. There was a loud thud, and, before Mike knew it, he was upon the doll like suit in an instant.

          Mike knew what was inside. He could hear her. He had failed her. He had been too late.

          His heart wrenched, and he swung open the latch of the suit that had closed in on Abby. His brain protested, but his arms worked before he had even had time to think about what he would see. And in a split second, he knew that even so, he had somehow underestimated. Seeing her like this almost wanted to make him vomit.

          Inside, was the half-alive body of Abby. She cried, and looked utterly terrified. Bleeding; badly, out of the wounds that were serrated by snapping rib-like claws, she squealed. They only seemed to relentlessly dig into her body further, her clothes soaked in red and her face twisted in pain. Mike couldn't imagine.

          Mike felt himself try stifle a sob, but he couldn't. He only moved forward and covered his mouth with one hand. He moved Abby's hair out of her face with the other.

          "Abby?" He spoke, his voice cracking. "Abby, you're gonna be okay."

          He knew he was lying to himself. Mike felt extremely conflicted. He saw how pinned down she was; how deep the jaggedy metal bones seemed to go. He couldn't get her out of this alone, without killing her in the process. But if he left her, she'd surely die. Was she destined to die either way? Mike felt himself descend into even more panic than he had felt earlier.

    She was destined to die either way.

          "Mike..." Abby cried quietly. "She hurt me."

          She sounded defeated. Mike knew that he was quite literally watching his own sister's death. And it was brutal. She didn't deserve this; noone deserved this. He took her hand.

          Feeling faint and terrified, his head was not in the right place to be making rational decisions. At the same time, he also felt an even newer wave of guilt cross him, threatening to shut him down right then and there. Unable to do anything, he stared on and tried to comfort her to the best of his ability. Please. His mind cried out. Please..

          "Abby, please. I- I know. I know. She's gone now, okay Abs?" He choked on his words.

          "You're gonna be okay.. you're gonna be okay."

          How could he save Abby from what he had done when he couldn't even save himself from his own mind? He had given her up in an act of obsession.

          Then, after what felt like a millennium, he heard her stop breathing. His eyes widened, and flooded with fear in an instant.

          "Abby. Abby, please." Mike spoke, his voice getting louder the more it spiraled into terror. "Abby, wake up."

          She was dead.