Chapter 1

The city stirred beneath a blanket of night, its secrets murmuring in the silent alleyways. Alan and I walked through the dim street lights, the city's nocturnal symphony playing in the background. He asked, "Ave, are you okay?" I said, "No. I am not okay." "Is it about the new case?" he asked, concerned. I nodded, "No, it's just...nothing." I don't blame him. If I saw my friend stressed, I would definitely ask. I met Alan at the orphanage I called home. Since then, we've been the best of friends. Both of us are 23 now, and we work at the Cipher Quest detective agency. I was silent, a tapestry of thoughts running through my head.

Alan said, "Isn't your birthday tomorrow?" I stopped. "March 17th is tomorrow?" I asked. All the days had blurred together as we tackled murder and theft cases. I hadn't remembered my own birthday, but he did. He said again, "Happy Birthday, Avery. We're going to the orphanage tomorrow, and your coming with me." He walked. I ran after him. "Wait no! I'll give you the boxes and you'll give them to the orphanage." "Alan insisted, "Oh no! You're coming with me!"

Every time it was our birthday, we would buy something for the children in the Crescent Moon Orphanage. That was the orphanage we grew up in. My birthday was on March 17th, and I would buy them what I wanted. I would usually get them toys. Alan's on December 12th. So he would buy them whatever he wanted, which was usually candy or sweets. Like on our birthdays, one of us would pay a visit at Christmas. I have not been to the orphanage in quite some time, believe it or not. Even on my birthday, Alan is the one who delivers the boxes to the orphanage. I simply refuse to go. Normally, he would invite me, but this time I had no choice but to accompany him. I was getting close to home as the cold air gently ran through my parka jacket.

I walked into my house, waving a soft goodbye to Alan.

Alan returned the wave as he made his way down the quiet street to his house. I threw myself on the couch, taking off my jacket and hanging it in the cupboard. I could not even bring myself to glance at the time; when I did, it was 3.45 a.m. I let out a sigh. I had to get up at 4 a.m. But I stayed late as I had to help Alan with a theft investigation. I knew in advance that I would not get a good night's sleep. I made myself some coffee, quickly showered, and changed into my clothes. I had two cups of coffee, but I was still tired. It was intended for today's case to involve yet another theft. I have never had to solve a murder case, which many people find regrettable, but theft cases are actually much easier, so that is a plus. I do not mind taking other types of cases either.

I called Alan on the phone while I was driving. Of course, he was sleeping. I went to a cafe for another cup of coffee. When I got my coffee, I drove straight up to Alan's. I waited for him in the car for half an hour. There were zero signs of him around. I rang the doorbell, like the world was coming to an end.

"Who on Earth is that!?" Alan asked.
"It's Avery!" I yelled in response.

That was probably enough to wake him up. He didn't particularly respond, but I did hear a series of clashes and chaos. I went back and waited in the car.

Fifteen minutes later...

Alan rushed to the car, and we drove straight up to our office.

We had no idea what surprise awaited in the office; everyone was staring at us. A friend and colleague, Angela, came to me and said, "Mrs. Sheldon wants you both in her room." Alan and I walked amidst the silence, with a feeling of slight fear. I knocked on Mrs. Sheldon's door. She replied in a heavy voice, "Come in." We entered.  

"I assume you've been given the Hagechester theft case. Angela's taking that over. You've been given a different case. The Smiths murder case...."