[1]

Hanahaki Disease is a fictional disease where someone begins coughing up flower petals because they have unrequited feelings for someone. The flowers can grow in the stomach, lungs, or heart, though it is traditionally in the lungs. Hanahaki Disease is a painful, slow disease that often develops over months, if not years, and begins with coughing up a few petals, and grows in intensity and pain until the victim is coughing up entire flowers, at which point the disease has reached its final stages.

If you want to know more about the hanahaki disease here is the link where i got the explanation from:
(https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HanahakiDisease)

_____________________________________

Trigger warning for:
- self-hate talk
- suicidal ideation
- gore/gory depictions

___

The first time Gaipa was confronted with the Hanahaki disease was the day he had gotten rejected by his unrequited love, Uncle Jim, during their usual routine dinner. Gaipa knew that he didn't feel the same but had hoped that by confessing, Uncle Jim would realise how much he meant to Gaipa and maybe would change his mind. But it was just wishful thinking and to this day the rejection hit Gaipa harder than his first time coughing up flower petals.

Everything happened so quickly.

One moment he was wiping away his tears, trying not to break down in front of Uncle Jim, and the next moment Gaipa was leaning over the toilet seat in his bathroom, expecting to throw up but instead coughing a small handful of beautifully delicate flower petals.

Gaipa looked in horror at the tiled bathroom floor that was now covered with petals. He was so disturbed and confused that he hadn't the - until now for him unknown - disease in mind, and wondered how that could be possible as he held his chest, trying to ease the sharp but at least slowly disappearing pain in his heart.

It wasn't until the next day at his busy chicken stall that he overheard some of his regulars talking about a disease that was thought to have been eradicated but now beginning to spread among younger but also older people again, causing them to throw up flower petals while slowly suffocating them in a painful and isolating process. Gaipa initially didn't want to believe it, denying reality and his now tragically sealed fate.

But the scratching and dryness in his throat didn't disappear.

The following day Gaipa immediately went to the doctor and described to him his symptoms and the moment he coughed up petals for the first time.

The diagnosis was clear: the Hanahaki disease - early stage.

Gaipa could faintly remember feeling unusually ill even weeks before the rejection. But since he had never heard of the disease, he had brushed off the symptoms, thinking that he was just too stressed out and still grieving since his mother had passed away just a month before. But over the weeks the symptoms had never disappeared, even getting increasingly worse.

The rejection was probably the catalyst, triggering the full, agonizing manifestation of the disease. It was as if the petals had been waiting for the perfect moment to unfurl their painful bloom, wrapping Gaipa in a thorny embrace and refusing to let him go.

The moment his doctor had told him the diagnosis with a pitiful look on his face, Gaipa's world collapsed for the third time in such a short time. (The first and second times were his mother's death and uncle Jim rejecting him.) But this time it was different. The disease wasn't something that he was able to ever recover from. This time his own life was on stake. Gaipa felt like the ground was being pulled out from under his feet, making him fall into an endless black hole, and before he knew it, he found himself in the clutches of the Hanahaki disease, unable to break free. The devastating realisation that he would die soon made Gaipa want to throw up for real.