[2]

Gaipa woke up, laying on something soft and warm and feeling rested for the for the first time in what seemed like an eternity. When he opened his eyes, he was greeted by the gentle face of his mother, smiling down at  him. Her tender smile conveyed a sense of relief and protectiveness, and she lovingly ran her fingers through his hair like she had always done it in the past, while humming her favourite song softly.

What happened?

Was this real?

"Good morning, son. Did you sleep well?" The voice of his father suddenly chimed in from behind Gaipa, interrupting his thoughts, and when he turned around, he was met with a radiant smile, one that had faded from his memory over the years. Slowly sitting up, Gaipa surveyed his surroundings, realizing he was still in his house, lying on the sofa in the living room. His father, seated on the carpet next to the sofa, was cutting Gaipa's favourite fruit - mangoes - into small slices and arranging them on a plate. Gaipa almost teared up at the nostalgic sight in front of him.

It was just like old times.

"Dad?" The sight of his father, after almost a decade of not seeing him, transported Gaipa back to his carefree childhood days where he hadn't had to worry about anything except maybe completing his homework. Gaipa had nearly forgotten the warmth of his parents' presence, a sensation he had dearly missed. Since their passing, Gaipa had harbored a persistent wish to see them again, and now, the reunion felt surreal. Yet, a lingering unease persisted within Gaipa, a feeling he couldn't  shake off.

"Eat up, my strong boy!" His father demanded in a playful voice, offering the plate with the mango slices. Grinning like a child, Gaipa nodded obediently and took a slice, savoring the sweetness of the fruit. In return, Mr. Hong ruffled his son's hair affectionately, smiling  genuinely at seeing his son again after so many lonely years. "After everything you had to endure, you need to regain your energy!" That sentence made Gaipa think for a moment.

Right, he had the disease...but-

Alan!

Gaipa finally remembered what had happened before he wake up. The last evening spent with Alan replayed in his mind, the shared confessions, the kisses, and the comforting embrace that lulled him to sleep.

"Wait for me, I'll be right back, okay?" Gaipa got up, quickly hugging his parents before leaving the cozy living room, and rushed up the stairs to his room, hoping his fear wasn't true. But when he opened the door, all he found was an empty bed. No sign of Alan... A sudden chill gripped Gaipa's heart as the truth dawned on him.

Was this really their end?

No, it couldn't be...they just...

Tears fell from Gaipa's eyes as he struggled to comprehend the cruelty of life. It felt like he had just regained a part of his life back, only to  loose another.

The person who had cared for him the most after his parents' passing.

The one who had loved him until the end.

The one now left alone.

Alan...

As if guided by an invisible force, Gaipa slowly headed back to the living room, each movement weighed down by an emotional burden. His parents, hearing Gaipa's hesitant footsteps from behind, turned around, not surprised upon seeing their son silently crying. Gaipa with tears streaming down his face, stood before them like a vulnerable child, afraid to share them what happened. As if they knew what was plaguing Gaipa, his parents gave him an understanding look filled with unwavering, endless love.

"Shhh, don't cry, my dear son." The couple rose from their places, enveloping their weeping child in a warm and comforting embrace. "Everything is going to be alright." Gaipa's mother reassured, her hand gently rubbing circles on his back, while Gaipa's father gently cradled his son's hand in both of his own, offering comfort. As they slowly pulled away, Mrs. Hong cupped her son's cheeks, wiping away the lingering tears. Gaipa blinked away the remnants of his sorrow, nodding reassuringly as he attempted to gather himself. Eventually, he managed to calm down and met the gaze of both his parents.