Chapter 27

Dronark was milling about the kitchen while Caeweth stirred awake on the couch. Dreams of being chased by a shadowy, unknown entity danced through her mind like a horrific ballet. She bolted upright with a gasp, startling Dronark, who promptly dropped what he was doing, including the dish he was washing, and rushed over to check if she was alright.

"Sweets!" He exclaimed before scooping her up into his arms, "What happened?"

She leaned into his embrace, comforted by the scent of pine and woodsmoke.

"I am alright," she mumbled, "It's nothing."

It felt nice to be doted on, especially after a bad dream.

"It didn't sound like 'nothing' to me sweets," he huffed, giving Caeweth a little squeeze, "You had another nightmare."

"It wasn't that bad..." she groaned.

"Judging by the gasp you emitted it's safe to say it was, indeed, 'that bad'," Dronark lightly teased, sitting down on the sofa, "You can tell old Dronark all about it."

"I was being chased by some... shadowy beast thing," She mumbled, "It chased me through some dark, wet, stoney tunnels."

"Sounds just like my dreams, except it's my stepfather chasing me," Dronark replied.

"You never got along with him?"

"Absolutely not," Dronark huffed, "It's a long and rather painful story, but my stepfather is the reason I live here and not in the Draklunds.  I don't think I would have stayed in the Draklunds either way, but at least my life would have been happier if my birth father never died, and mother had never married that  prick."

"Would you like to talk about it?" Caeweth asked, twirling a lock of Dronark's silvery white hair around her finger.

"No," he replied, "Not now, it wouldn't feel right.  Besides, Astrid will be here any minute with our supper."

Caeweth glanced at the wall clock, it was 5 o'clock in the evening.  Normally she would be asleep till at least 6, maybe 7, or awaken at 8 o'clock or 9 at the latest.  She gave Dronark a hug before sliding out of his lap to stretch a little before dinner.

As if on que, a knock resonated from the door.  Caeweth opened it to find Astrid standing outside, holding a basket of food and a bottle of red merlot.

"Hello Caeweth," she said with a beaming smile, "I didn't expect you to be up this early.  How are you and Dronark getting along?"

"We're getting along fine," said Caeweth as she took the basket, "It's been peaceful with him around."

"You know, Caeweth," Astrid flashed her  a sly, knowing grin, "Dronark has a lot of good things to say about you."

Caeweth felt her cheeks flush a bright red.

"O-oh?" she stammered, "like what?"

"He thinks you're cute," Astrid continued, "And he says that you-"

"Thank you very much Astrid," Dronark cut in, pulling Caeweth back into the cottage before any of the guard could see her night fae appearance, "I don't know about you, but I'm starving.  Farewell Astrid."

He quickly, yet gently, closed the door before Astrid could get another word in.

"Ah, true love," Astrid giggled to herself as she happily skipped back to the castle.

"Do you really think that I'm... 'cute'?" Caeweth asked Dronark as he unpacked the basket.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't," he replied, pulling out a bottle of cabernet, a loaf of bread that had been perfectly sliced, a block of exotic cheese, and a freshly smoked brisket, "Maybe it's just the amount of time we have been forced to spend together in this tiny cottage, but yes, I think you are cute."