Winning A Battle, Losing A War

s1, e3

Liv was contemplating taking the day off and staying with her husband and daughter, but knew that she couldn't do that. She was an intern, she had to go in, unless her limbs were hanging off. Lottie climbed ontop of her mother and tickled her until she woke up, giggling as her mom rolled over and attacked her daughter instead, peppering her cheeks with kisses and blowing raspberries on her stomach. 

"Are you going in?" Jay asked as he came in, holding a glass of orange juice and a slice of buttery toast on a plate for his wife. She nodded, huge bags under her eyes, since the last shift she had struggled to sleep, only getting an hour before waking up screaming from nightmares. It had been two days and she still hadn't had a full night of sleep. "I'm sure they would understand if you explained." Liv shook her head as she got up, twisted her hair into a bun on her head, pulled on shorts, sports bra, strappy top and sneakers.

Liv took a bite of the toast as she swallowed down her pills with the juice. "I have to, and it'll help take my mind off of it." She forced a smile as Lottie handed her, her work bag and her  phone which had been exploding with texts from Meredith. She kissed her daughter on both cheeks and forehead, and then wrapped her husband in a hug, as he kissed her. "I love you." She muttered as she rested her head in his chest.

"I love you too, darling." Liv drove to work in five minutes and walked into the locker room. She changed into her scrubs and coat.

Meredith rested a hand on her shoulder, making her jump. "I'm sorry you saw and heard that, but I am fine and I really, really don't want to talk about it." Liv grunted as Meredith pulled her in for a hug. 

"I let them move in and now they are driving me crazy. Please come rescue me." She begged, Liv laughing. "Also, if you need to, I'll listen." Meredith reminded her friend.

"I would love to but I can't. I cannot leave this little monster with Jay, she would stay up all night, eat nothing but sugar because he can't resist her puppy eyes." Meredith laughed as she showed her a picture of her daughter, husband and her. 

Bailey collected the intern class of six and began their brisk walk to the emergency room. Liv was zoned out, which everyone had noticed but nobody mentioned it, Bailey keeping an eye on her intern. 

They arrived at the E.R, minus George and began receiving patients. Liv took a guy with superficial facial lacerations, compound femur fracture and a concussion. She didn't want to be in surgery, she was focused on helping who she could, however she could and where she could. If it meant suturing all day, she didn't mind.

"Hi sir, my names Dr Moore. What's yours?" She asked as she shone a penlight in his eyes, finding them to be equal and reactive, but slightly sluggish.

"Adam Karter. 43." He groaned as he sat up. Liv besides him, suturing his head lacks. A nurse came in with an E.R doctor.

"Adam, we're going to set your leg, it's going to hurt but you just need to breathe, okay?" Liv told her patient as she got in position, next to the doctor as the nurse administered morphine.

In three minutes he was considerably calmer and they began to reset his leg. Liv pulled on his foot as the bone popped back into place and out of sight as the doctor, placed gauze over the wound, soaking up the blood. He then wrapped a bandage keeping it in place and sent him to orthopedics to have his leg casted.