001. the green eyed boy and the monster

Jane stood outside her house, wishing she didn't have to go in. She scratched at her palms, nervous and sweaty. She knew there would be no way of explaining this.

Slowly, she walked inside. "Mom, I'm home!" She called, her voice being a little louder than she meant for.

Her mom called back from the kitchen. "Your home early, Janela. Did something happen?"

Jane sighed, partly because of the name that her mom had given her at birth. Jane didn't like how it sounded, so she shortened it.

"Uh...kinda?"

"What happened Janela. Did you get kicked out of school...again?"

Jane gulped. No turning back now. "Yea, a kid said that I um...blinded her? With a light?"

There was silence from the kitchen. Then she saw her mom turning around the corner.

"What?"

"I'm not lying. And I didn't do anything. I didn't even touch her." Jane plead, swearing she wasn't guilty.

Her mom gulped. "We need to go."

Jane was taken aback from her mothers response, expecting a long lecture. Instead, her mom wanted to take her somewhere?

"Um, should I pack?"

"No. Let's go. I'll explain everything later."

As her mom grabbed her keys and went outside to start the car, Jane followed behind. What was happening?

When they got in the car, her mom drove away from their house to a road that looked unfamiliar.

As she was driving, her mom asked her a question.

"Did you see anything strange? Out of place?"

Jane bit her nails. She didn't want to talk about this. It was embarrassing to talk about her crazy delusions in front of her mom.

"Well, kind of. There was this weird thing...looked like a winged creature. And get this, it was my science teacher. And whenever I tried to tell somebody, nobody even listened! It was like I was the only one who could see her."

"What did you do?"

"I found this coin on the floor. It looked really weird, not like a normal quarter or anything. I picked it up and flipped it on accident, and it turned into a sword. A sword!"

Jane gasped, out of breath. Then continuing on as her mom was waiting for her to continue.

"And I didn't even mean to, but Mrs. Wellaby was getting up on me and I was like, let's not. I...i accidentally stabbed her. In the chest. And then...the weird creature Wellaby thing disappeared. Whenever I asked if anyone had saw what Mrs. Wellaby did, a teacher named Mr. Brunner came up to me."

"He said nobody named Mrs. Wellaby existed."

"I don't know. Maybe I was just daydreaming."

Her mom, being silent the whole time, spoke up finally.

"Did you keep the coin?"

Jane bit the inside of her cheek before responding.

"I put it in my pocket but then when the principal rushed me inside, I fell on the ground and he wouldn't let me grab it again."

Her mom nodded.

Suddenly, Jane heard something outside the car. It sounded like stomping.

"Um...do you hear that?"