Chapter Twenty Seven.

The week of graduation had given me more anxiety than ever while Chicago went on about how our future would be. He would visit on weekends, I would drive to stay with him in his dorm some nights.
I would sell my photos successfully and possibly start my own company. He would graduate after 4 years and move back home where he would get a job at a mechanics shop where he would work his way up to a title like manager where once we both saved enough money, we would take a road trip around the country where I could take pictures of anything and everything like I always wanted to do.
He spoke with such certainty that this would work out.
If only I could muster up the words to tell him.

My dad managed to ease up on his drinking the week before graduation so he didn't stink of booze. Though Jazzy was there with him, I couldn't find it in me to be angry.
I had graduated, Chicago and I both were graduates.
Madelyn Meyers was our Valedictorian, her speech being a bunch of bull shit about how this was a 'long road' and how we all made it.
We threw our caps in the air, cheers erupting through the room as I leaned down and kissed Chicago with emotions I didn't understand.
I knew I had to tell him at some point, I had to make every moment worth it.

Though I knew we would never be the same again after this summer. I couldn't bear to think of Chicago Beckette as just a memory, but that's probably the way it would have to be.

Chicago and I went to speak with my dad before we went off to a celebratory meal with his family.
"My son, a graduate." He said proudly, bringing me in for a hug. "I'm so proud of you."
I smiled, "Thanks, Dad."
"Soon enough, you'll be in the Big Apple. Long way from where you came from, yeah?" My dad exclaimed.
My heart dropped to my stomach, I felt Chicago's hesitation and confusion.
"I'll see you later, okay Dad?....Bye Jazzy."

We turned around and walked out to the hallway where Chicago pulled me to the side.
"What did he mean?" He asked me, his eyes narrowed. I wore guilt on my face, I knew I did. "I wanted to tell you but–"
Chicago walked past me and out through the back doors which led to the very same picnic tables that we sat at every day.

He sat on the table, I sat down on the bench looking up at him.
"I'm sorry, Chicago." I muttered, running my hand through my hair.
His head was resting in his hands for a minute while we sat in silence. He lifted his head, looking right at me. "So, whats the plan?"
I sighed, chewing on my cheek. "I got accepted into NYU on a full ride scholarship for photography."
His brows raised. "Congrats."
I felt a lump rising in my throat, "I'm so sorry, Chicago. I really wanted to tell you but I just didn't know how–and Mrs.Mayfield had helped me fill out the applications and I didn't say anything because I didn't even think I was going to get in and–and the company I've been working with has been going so well so I thought I might not even go but then the scholarship was full fucking ride–"
Chicago interrupted, "The company you've been working for? The camera shop?"
I shook my head, "I got a new job at a photography company, I mostly work with models."

He said nothing as he stared at me, shaking his head. I saw a glisten in his eye, a tear spilling over.
"That's great, Bailey." He whispered.
Guilt rose in my chest. "I'm sorry for lying."
Chicago chewed on his lip, wiping his cheek with his sleeve. "Don't be. This was just some fling for the school year, anyway."
"Good luck, Bailey." Was all he said before walking away.

I swear I felt my heart crack if not completely shatter. I took a moment, letting myself cry and let out a few pained and silent sobs.
But I took a breath and I stood up.

Over the summer I had taken as many hours and models as I could, saving money for my freshman year of college.
I hadn't seen Chicago once, I was horrified that the day of graduation was the last I was going to see of him. I didn't have to go get my stuff from his house because a day after graduation Diego had dropped off a box on my doorstep.

All I could think about was him calling us a 'fling.' Did he really think that?

When August came, my father and Jazzy helped me pack up my room.
I took two or three boxes of clothes and bought new bedding to fit my school bed. Leaving early on a Monday morning the week before classes started, I began the drive to New York.

I forgot about Chicago–or atleast I tried. I refused to think about him throughout the 11 hour drive.

I was starting a new chapter, new people in a new city. Maybe it's best to leave him behind in my last chapter of life, to not depend on him to lead me through my storms as my mother used to say.
But there I was, sailing my storms alone.

Book two?