16 | 𝐀 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐋𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

A LONELY NIGHT

The remainder of the night unfurls in an intense study session with Mari at the dining table, punctuated by indulgent bites of croissants thoughtfully provided by Kuroo. You two decide to use the same study tactic used in the library, quizzing each other on the intricate study materials to test your knowledge.

Initially, all seems promising until Mari points out a crucial detail: all of this preparation is only for the first part of a two part exam. The first phase consists of a written, multiple-choice test, and the second part is a hands-on skills assessment scheduled later in the week.

When you wake up the next morning, ​​a thoughtful gesture from Kuroo awaits—a string of encouraging text messages and a brief apology for being unable to accompany you to the lecture hall due to an early class. Promptly replying to Kuroo, you assure him of an update post-exam.

After preparing and savouring one of Kuroo's delectable leftover croissants for breakfast, you feel fortunate to have Mari's comforting presence for the walk to the lecture hall. At least you won't be alone for the time Kuroo is unavailable.

Seated now, the scantron sheet stares back, demanding answers as you navigate the test questions. Some of the questions feel like fair game. Others feel like they were created completely outside of the study material.

The realization of potential failure dawns as time ticks methodically with each passing question. Then, when you've finally finished your exam, you lift your gaze to the screen at the front of the room to witness the last five seconds of the allotted time countdown to zero. Three hours, a temporal abyss consumed solely by the exam seems like a revelation that catches you off guard.

Was the exam so hard that I had to use all of the provided time? Or am I just trying to answer to the best of my ability?

The shrill buzz of the timer concludes the test. Alongside two other lingering students, you submit your papers before exiting the hall to join the cluster of students congregated outside.

Mari's eager anticipation dims as she notices your moistened eyes. "So," she ventures, hopeful for a positive report. "How did it go?" Her optimism wanes as your response filters weakly through your lips, tears on the brink of streaming down your cheeks.

"Terrible," you admit softly. "Absolutely terrible."

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚ ˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

"It's our first exam, remember?" Mari's reassuring voice crosses the table, observing as you nibble the final remnants of a croissant with glossy eyes. "Don't be too hard on yourself."

"Those questions were harder than I thought they were going to be," you mutter. "And things only get harder from here."

The vulnerability of displaying this side to Mari weighs heavily on you. It was already hard leaving the exam room feeling stupid with how you performed on the test, and the grades exacerbate your despondency, which were posted merely an hour after the exam's conclusion.

Mari sighs through her nose. "So what? You'll ace the next one," she insists.

"No, I won't," you wipe away a tear, feeling exhausted from already having to deal with a failing grade. "If I can't handle the easiest exam that our program has to offer, then how am I going to pass the rest of them?"