Chapter 7

In the few hours that it took the transport to reach its destination of the Negotiator, Faces had managed to: give a verbal essay about all the ways General Kenobi was attractive; get Dinii on his side after agreeing about Commander Cody; piss Hiccup off enough that he had to take a lap around the transport to cool off; whip out a grease pencil to draw the general on the inside of his chest plate to prove his points; and start a small brawl.

All in all, a pretty successful trip if you asked him. Which no one did. Rude.

The transport had just made contact with the Negotiator, the clones scrambling to get back into formation and readjust their armor. It wouldn't be good for them if they turned up looking like they were incompetent.

Standing next to Jumper and Dinii, Faces struggled to keep his hands from shaking. Arguing with his brothers only worked so much to distract him from this reality. Their entire lives' purpose was this war, and now, sent off from Kamino, it was getting too real.

His whole life up to this point was following orders, and tests, and keeping his brothers safe. Well, as safe as he could keep them. It was a repetitive life. The pattern change was causing Faces to freak out a bit.

Taking a deep breath as the hanger door opened, Faces came to a decision. He was just one man. One nine-year-old, sent to war a year before he was meant to. What significant things could he change, really? What could he do, realistically, to change the entire plot of this war?

Nothing. Nothing, and that was okay. He was going to do what he could for his brothers, keep them safe until... well. For as long as he could.

That's what he could do. Be a soldier. It was what was expected of him, anyway. Just being what he was created to be. He had no problem with that.

No problem.

The rhythmic thumping of GAR-regulated boots hitting metal shook Faces out of his thoughts. He was suddenly grateful for the helmet on his head, allowing him to keep those thoughts to himself and not be able to be seen. Curse his expressive face.

Unloading from the transport took no time at all, and before he was ready Faces stood at attention, staring at the helmetless face of Commander Cody. The scar on the side of his face glimmered as he furrowed his brow, assessing the rows of new troops.

To his side stood General Kenobi, and. Faces knew this was real. Dreams didn't last years. Didn't cause pain. Didn't have details so realistic. But some little part of him died at the confirmation. Kenobi, by just standing there, an otherworldly aura shining from him, just destroyed Faces' darkest hope.

Fuck.

Laughter snapped him back to reality. The in-helmet comms were active, and Jumper was laughing at him.

Oh, he must have said that out loud.

"They everything you thought they'd be, vode?" Hiccup drawled, tilting his helmet slightly towards them.

"He's everything and more, vod," Dinii breathed. "Everything and more."

"Shut up," Faces replied, voice wobbling. Hopefully, no one noticed that. "You're ruining the experience."

As soon as Faces finished speaking, the General looked at him. With about twenty feet and dozens of rows of troopers between them, those blue eyes were staring directly into Faces' visor.

The clone froze.

Their helmets were soundproofed, there was no way he could have heard them speaking. Even with all the powers and magic Jedi have, surely enhanced hearing isn't one of them? And if it was, Faces knew for a fact that he wasn't the only one speaking. The vode were horrible gossips, after all.

So why was he being stared at?

Kriff, aren't Jedi empaths? Faces could be standing out with that, practically grieving his life and his brothers' before they're even gone.

"Troopers!"

Stiffening, Faces looked towards the Commander who had crossed his arms, helmet clipped to his belt.

"You all have been selected as the best of the cadets in your age group, and now you are full-fledged troopers. As of this moment, you represent the 212th. Be sure to remember that. I will remind you if you forget." A ripple of fear spread through the clones at the threat, only noticeable if you were looking closely.

Faces swallowed. This deployment was sure to be interesting.